PDA

View Full Version : Next point - tank levelling

Aquattro
10-28-2010, 05:00 AM
So I've built the stand, it's big and heavy, and it sits right across a hump in the floor (almost an inch play side to side). At 2500 pounds, am I ok to use wooden shims on the corners (can't reach back edge once in place) or should I look at great levelling?
I thought of framing in the area and pouring some quick set on plastic to create a mini slab, but that might crack at the edges and be bad....

thoughts?

Delphinus
10-28-2010, 05:32 AM
I sure hope wooden shims will suffice. Although what I did on the low side was cut a 2x4 to the width needed and slid that under the 2x4 that was at the bottom of the stand. It was the middle that proved to be a challenge because it was a triangular gap now, so I just jammed a whole lot of shims in the middle under the centre vertical post until they were one solid mass, then I chopped off the bits that hung out from under the stand, and then I encased that in silicone on the tank side and Great Stuff on the outside - those shims are not moving anywhere anytime soon.

I believe Michika used some kind of levelling compound. I would suspect because of the edge cracking you mention, that if you went that route that you have to do an area larger than the tank stand so that the stand is not sitting anywhere near the edges.

But I'm no builder so what do I know..

andestang
10-28-2010, 05:58 AM
Given the chance I would level the area properly with some self leveling mortar.

golf nut
10-28-2010, 06:15 AM
So I've built the stand, it's big and heavy, and it sits right across a hump in the floor (almost an inch play side to side). At 2500 pounds, am I ok to use wooden shims on the corners (can't reach back edge once in place) or should I look at great levelling?
I thought of framing in the area and pouring some quick set on plastic to create a mini slab, but that might crack at the edges and be bad....

thoughts?

Really depends on the type of stand you have built, got pics?

MitchM
10-28-2010, 10:42 AM
It does depend on the stand construction, but also on the floor.
I am assuming that this is an older home with maybe douglas fir floor joists, a 3/4" subfloor and 3/4" hardwood flooring material.
Is the hump from the subfloor and floor finish material? Or is the hump from a crown in the floor joist? Is the hump stable? Does it creak if you stand or jump on it? If the hump isn't stable, anything you pour on it now will surely crack once weight is put on it.
If the hump is from the hardwood flooring and subfloor only, the tank setup may level itself.
If the hump is from a floor joist, then even 2500 lbs won't straighten that out and you will need to shim.
If the stand is built with bottom plates on edge, then you could be fine with relying on 3 points of support - the hump plus shimming on each end.
If the the stand is built with bottom plates on flat, then shimming in numerous places under the stand would be recommended.

Lots of "if's". Pics of the stand, floor area from above and below would help. Hopefully you can see the underside of the floor from the basement.

Mitch

wickedfrags
10-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Exactly my thoughts. Get it perfect.

Given the chance I would level the area properly with some self leveling mortar.

sphelps
10-28-2010, 01:26 PM
Rather than having a stand with a flat base or lengthwise beams as a base add four legs, one at each corner. This makes leveling much easier. The legs don't have to be anything overly tall, just high enough to clear the uneven surface, even some of those furniture pads for hardwood floors can work well.

Aquattro
10-28-2010, 01:56 PM
It does depend on the stand construction, but also on the floor.
I am assuming that this is an older home with maybe douglas fir floor joists, a 3/4" subfloor and 3/4" hardwood flooring material.
Is the hump from the subfloor and floor finish material? Or is the hump from a crown in the floor joist? Is the hump stable? Does it creak if you stand or jump on it? If the hump isn't stable, anything you pour on it now will surely crack once weight is put on it.
If the hump is from the hardwood flooring and subfloor only, the tank setup may level itself.
If the hump is from a floor joist, then even 2500 lbs won't straighten that out and you will need to shim.
If the stand is built with bottom plates on edge, then you could be fine with relying on 3 points of support - the hump plus shimming on each end.
If the the stand is built with bottom plates on flat, then shimming in numerous places under the stand would be recommended.

Lots of "if's". Pics of the stand, floor area from above and below would help. Hopefully you can see the underside of the floor from the basement.

Mitch

Older home, no idea what type of construction (finished basement with tenant). Hump is pretty solid, assuming due to settling and such. Hump is simply part of a wave that spans the room, but solid, no squeaks or movement. Stand is 2x4 construction, bottom plates on edge, although bottom skinned with 1/2" ply. I have a wall below the tank with a framed closet, so pretty sure joists won't sag under weight.

MitchM
10-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Finished floor...wood, tile, lino..?

Mitch

Aquattro
10-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Finished floor...wood, tile, lino..?

Mitch

Laminate over basic foam underlay.

Aquattro
10-28-2010, 03:16 PM
My stnad is basically designed after this

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1169964

although I used 2x4 on top, with one centered brace in rear and two at 3rds in front. Plywood bottom and a false 6" back added to hide plumbing.

golf nut
10-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Sounds like the best way would be to add 1/2 plates to each end of the stand to clear the hump, then shim the hump area.

Aquattro
10-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Sounds like the best way would be to add 1/2 plates to each end of the stand to clear the hump, then shim the hump area.

Kinda like legs on the corners?

MitchM
10-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Laminate floors on foam are meant to "float" to allow for expansion and contraction. If you weigh down the laminate floor permanently with an aquarium, you could notice buckling in other areas of the room.
I would cut out the laminate and then either level with shims (plastic or wood) or go ahead with a self levelling cement.

Mitch

StirCrazy
10-28-2010, 04:55 PM
hmm.. maybe I should take a road tripto Victoria to give you a hand. do it like we did your other one. wooden shims, but not just at the corner. we did the other tank in more places than that.

you want the bottom to be suported all along so ever 2 or 3" put a shim. if there realy is that much of a hump then you can do as sugested as put 1/2" plywood strips under the places that it will fit then shim that if needed.

the other way, which is the way I would do it, is to build a "bottom" to the frame which you build directly on the floor and make dead level then mount the frame to it.

but this involves being able to rip 2X4s on an angle, so might not be the simplest way for ya, and would raise your stand up at least another inch or two.

Steve

globaldesigns
10-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Personally, if it isn't off that much, I wouldn't worry, but otherwise I think wooden shims would work. Only problem is that maybe they can deteriate over time from weight, water, etc.

My tank is off just a bit, but I never adjusted. It was perfectly level when put in place, but after time with water it is off a bit, just slightly. If you look hard you can see it. I use a level quite often to keep tabs on it, as it is on a second floor of my home, and it has never moved. Using the level, the stand is level, if I put the level on the light it is level, but if I put it on the tank it is off a few millimetres. Oh well, I am not worried.

Aquattro
10-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Laminate floors on foam are meant to "float" to allow for expansion and contraction. If you weigh down the laminate floor permanently with an aquarium, you could notice buckling in other areas of the room.

Mitch

The stand only covers about 2 lengths, a few rows deep, and the other outer edges have lots of float room. I'm not sure that's a big concern??

MitchM
10-28-2010, 06:19 PM
Yeah, I'm not there and can't see it, I'm just saying what I know about some things...:lol:
Free advice and all... I try to give advice like I'm being paid for it. Don't want somethng to come back and haunt me.:wink:

Mitch

Aquattro
10-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Yeah, I'm not there and can't see it, I'm just saying what I know about some things...:lol:
Free advice and all... I try to give advice like I'm being paid for it. Don't want somethng to come back and haunt me.:wink:

Mitch

Too late, my lawyer says you're now liable for the tank landing on my tenant -lol

Ya, it's hard to say, and pics won't show enough detail to be any help, but so far, all good advice.
Well, except the part about Steve coming to my house :)

MitchM
10-28-2010, 08:55 PM
Meh...you're good to go as far as support for the weight of the tank.

As far as making it pretty and down the road not saying "I should have done "****" differently - that's your call.:smile:

Mitch

Lance
10-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Wide, hardwood shims every 5 to 6 inches and you're good to go.

Aquattro
10-29-2010, 01:44 AM
Wide, hardwood shims every 5 to 6 inches and you're good to go.

Except once in place, I won't be able to get to the back edge...but I think I should be ok, the reaer centre is sitting solidly, so shimming the corners should suffice. I hope :)

golf nut
10-29-2010, 03:38 AM
Except once in place, I won't be able to get to the back edge...but I think I should be ok, the reaer centre is sitting solidly, so shimming the corners should suffice. I hope :)

The 4 corners are more important to be solid than the center, I really believe that doing the corners rigidly is better than shims that may give and leave the center as the main support.

StirCrazy
10-29-2010, 04:46 PM
, I won't be able to get to the back edge...

thats what you said last time..

Steve

Aquattro
10-29-2010, 04:49 PM
thats what you said last time..

Steve

This time I built a false back, so it's right against the wall. Once in place, there's no getting behind it.