PDA

View Full Version : New Tank!!

IJC
12-06-2003, 07:20 PM
After a few months of reading, browsing the internet, and trying to decide what I wanted, I finally took the plunge this week and bought a 54g reef tank.
I ended up buying the setup Brian (orion) had advertised on here a month or so ago. It looks great and I'm real excited...
Inspite of my excitment, Im also concerned about the upcoming move - as the tank is up and running, with fish, corals, and live rock. I've been following the thread on moving tanks, so i've already got a lot of the input on getting it done - I'm planning the move for late next week, so I've still got lots of time for prep, and it seems like that's the most important thing.
One of the issues I'm still mulling over is whether to keep the DSB or not. Would the move be a good time to remove it, (if that's the thing to do), or would this just be an added stress to the system? It's a good 3" deep, and I think I'd like <1". I could put some in the middle section of the sump, and phase it out slowly....? I was also considering the option of putting miracle mud in the sump....
Obviously, I"ve got lots to think about befor next week rolls around. Sure is exciting though! Any suggestions would be great.

MitchM
12-07-2003, 12:10 PM
I'm a fan of DSB's, as you can pretty much "set it and forget it" :wink:
...but not forever, just like anything in our reef tanks.
If you can keep the moving time pretty short, then I would keep it, but do not disturb it. (but it will take 4 strong guys to move a 54g with a dsb in tact!) If you are going to take it out of the tank, then I highly recommend fully rinsing it before putting it back in.
Miracle mud is an expensive method, and I would recommend researching A LOT before going that route. There are successful tanks out there with and without MM.
Good luck!

Mitch

IJC
12-07-2003, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the advice Mitch.

If I do decide to keep the dsb, I will leave it intact (if it's not TOO heavy). It sounds like things could get pretty ugly in there if I take it out, and put it back in again.

I'm thinking about skimming the top inch or so (hopefully mostly the aerobic, not-as-stinky-stuff) and using that as a "shallow sand bed" and either ditching the rest, or maybe cleaning some up and putting it in the sump as a refugium. If I did that, i'd put a light down there and get some macro growing - there's already a ton of macro growing in this tank.

It's hard to know what to do.... there doesn't seem to be a definate best option. I appreciate the reply though, every tidbit helps.

Ian

Bob I
12-07-2003, 07:13 PM
There have been a lot of negative comments about sandbeds lately. I still think the original idea of Nitrate reduction, and the addition of a large area to hold nitrifying bacteria stlll holds, My recommendation would be to move the sand in buckets, and keeping it wet. Then when it gets to its final location I would rinse it in salt water, and put it back in the tank. That way the nitrifying bacteria will survive, and you would be away much quicker.

I have done it that way, and was happy with the results. :eek: