PDA

View Full Version : WTB: peaceful sohal tang :-)

Coleus
10-26-2010, 08:37 PM
My last one did not go so well so .... maybe someone shutting down their tank and sell me a peaceful one.

I saw a couple small ones at gold, not sure if i should buy them when they small or go for bigger one.

What is the best approach?

Zoaelite
10-26-2010, 08:47 PM
The one I saw at golds was a bit beat up but still a nice looking fish, it's hard to say as the chances of someone looking to get rid of one are probably small (Especially if you are looking for a docile one).

Mixing fish is like mixing unlabeled chemicals, It's very difficult to predict the final results. I would personally take the small one and keep him fed like a little piggy, good luck they are a very personable fish (I think Globaldesigns has big one, maybe he can share his secrets).

The Codfather
10-26-2010, 08:47 PM
I don't think there is such a beast. The one's that I ever had always got very aggressive with age. Just my opinion.

kien
10-26-2010, 10:47 PM
I had one that started out peaceful. He was even bullied by my clown tang. Then one day I guess he had enough and went postal, on everyone. More aggressive than even my triggers and I have 3 Aggressive triggers! Ended up rehoming him to a friends fowlr.

globaldesigns
10-26-2010, 11:35 PM
I guess the problem you will have is that anyone with a Sohal, that is peaceful, probably won't give it up. I myself, have a very peaceful one overall, therefore it is the showpiece of my tank. Only way I will give it up, is for alot of MOOOOLAAAAA. :lol:

Good luck finding one, I hope you do. I guess the problem overall is firstly getting one that is peaceful, but more importantly if you do find one that is proven to be nice, once transferred to your tank, will it stay that way. Cross your fingers on that.

But I will say, I do love my Sohal and would recommend them, but buyer beware!!!!

Coleus
10-27-2010, 01:56 AM
Hey Rick, did you get it when it was small?

Ryan
10-27-2010, 02:30 AM
I don't think there is such a beast. The one's that I ever had always got very aggressive with age. Just my opinion.

therealshark had one that was the exact opposite. Used to be the meanest stinker in the tank but by the end he tamed right down and was a great tank companion.

Coleus
10-27-2010, 04:21 AM
my last one kill my naso tang which is like 1.5 his size. and no other fishes dare to come out of the rock even feeding time. I got to move him out of tank in hurry

globaldesigns
10-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Hey Rick, did you get it when it was small?

Yup, mine was about 3 inches from tip to tail, so very small. Now he is about 8 inches or so.

He was a bugger when smaller, he chased and nipped fins. My foxface didn't look that great as his fins got pretty nipped up. But over time it got better.

I got him from golds, and he was eating pellets, but when I got him home, he didn't. Could only get him to eat Nori. Over time I decided to not feed nori at all, basically starve him into eating the pellets. Well that did work, and I found feeding him the pellets, must of satisfied him, cause his aggression subsided.

Now, he is quite peaceful. Larger in size and still eating mostly varied types of pellets with some Nori. He does do the odd chase, but does not damage any fish or coral. So I would say he is a success!!

lastlight
10-27-2010, 04:17 PM
You're very lucky. I'll be taking a stab at one someday. Hands down my favorite looking fish.

therealshark
10-27-2010, 06:59 PM
mine was a bit bigger when i got him (from golds also). but once he was on pellets he was fine. used to chase my blue tang around really bad, if the blue tang would try to hide the sohal would grab him by the tail and pull him back out. at that time i was wanting to get him out of there. then all of a sudden he quit the chasing and turned into a model citizen (still the boss of the tank) but well behaved anyways. would even eat flakes out of my hand in the end.
i had to let him go anyways tho cause of a tank downgrade.

Yup, mine was about 3 inches from tip to tail, so very small. Now he is about 8 inches or so.

He was a bugger when smaller, he chased and nipped fins. My foxface didn't look that great as his fins got pretty nipped up. But over time it got better.

I got him from golds, and he was eating pellets, but when I got him home, he didn't. Could only get him to eat Nori. Over time I decided to not feed nori at all, basically starve him into eating the pellets. Well that did work, and I found feeding him the pellets, must of satisfied him, cause his aggression subsided.

Now, he is quite peaceful. Larger in size and still eating mostly varied types of pellets with some Nori. He does do the odd chase, but does not damage any fish or coral. So I would say he is a success!!

globaldesigns
10-27-2010, 07:27 PM
mine was a bit bigger when i got him (from golds also). but once he was on pellets he was fine. used to chase my blue tang around really bad, if the blue tang would try to hide the sohal would grab him by the tail and pull him back out. at that time i was wanting to get him out of there. then all of a sudden he quit the chasing and turned into a model citizen (still the boss of the tank) but well behaved anyways. would even eat flakes out of my hand in the end.
i had to let him go anyways tho cause of a tank downgrade.

Too bad you had to get rid of him. I also can feed mine by hand, actually most of my fish actually take the food right from my fingers. It's funny, the foxface actually clamps onto my fingertips and starts pulling me. It's cool feeding them this way.

Also yesterday, I had a coral come loose, so I had my arm in there to reglue it down with puddy. Well my Sohal took a good nip at me, caught me by surprise. He is the king also, and I guess he even lets me know once in awhile.

Coleus
10-28-2010, 02:29 AM
well gonna try the small one at gold. I hope I get lucky this time.

daniella3d
10-29-2010, 03:32 AM
Is there even such thing as a peaceful sohal tang??? all those that I have seen were real terror. The last one I saw attacked me for no reason.

My last one did not go so well so .... maybe someone shutting down their tank and sell me a peaceful one.

I saw a couple small ones at gold, not sure if i should buy them when they small or go for bigger one.

What is the best approach?