PDA

View Full Version : Mgnet ballast question

kuatto
12-06-2003, 03:53 PM
Running an M58 magnetic ballast,and noticed it started to give off a smell when it got hot,is this normal or should i worry?It's not like burnt plastic or rubber smell,but rather like some grease or something.the housing its in(metal with open top) is hot to the touch. :question: :question:

Jim

kuatto
12-06-2003, 04:33 PM
anyone??
I've turned it off for now.

Bryan
12-06-2003, 07:07 PM
Is it a new ballast, if so this is normal as the mfg gives the ballast a light coating of oil to prevent corrosion plus the windings sort of "breaking in". It is always a good idea to amke sure your ballast enclosure is well ventilated.

kuatto
12-06-2003, 08:22 PM
It does kinda smell like oil instead of electrical.I called a lihgting place and he said it was burning out,if it wasn't grounded properly(i grounded both grounds from the light and ballast to the ballast)Iguess I'll just wait untill tonight to see what the other more experienced have to say.

kuatto
12-08-2003, 04:06 PM
Looks like you were right,the smell has almost gone totally.I'm happy to report things are fine and really bright :cool:
I noticed a small green algae bloom with the increased light,but not really a big problem.Now to build an auto top-off for the increased evaporation :biggrin: Thanks for the help.

Jim