PDA

View Full Version : Best *Cheap* scale for accurately weighing Live Rock

gobytron
10-26-2010, 01:55 PM
What are the best and most practical methods for weighing out LR?

I always eyeball it and wnt this to stop...lol

what do you use and where did you get it...

reefwars
10-26-2010, 01:59 PM
i just used a bathroom scale from walmart i paid like 10$ for not sure if its pinpoint accurate but it was a god send when i was selling 300lbs:)

gobytron
10-26-2010, 02:21 PM
you mean like an analog one with a dial and pin?

In my experience, those are horribly inacurrate, especially for weight under 75lbs or so...I tried one of these that I wrapped in saran wrap and it was a total waste of time...

Was yours a digital version or analog?

BMW Rider
10-26-2010, 02:23 PM
i just used a bathroom scale from walmart i paid like 10$ for not sure if its pinpoint accurate but it was a god send when i was selling 300lbs:)

+1

Just a five gallon plastic bucket on the bathroom scale, its not like your weighing it to the nearest ounce. A few pounds either way was fine with me and the people who bought the rock I sold off last spring.

reefwars
10-26-2010, 02:49 PM
you mean like an analog one with a dial and pin?

In my experience, those are horribly inacurrate, especially for weight under 75lbs or so...I tried one of these that I wrapped in saran wrap and it was a total waste of time...

Was yours a digital version or analog?

I think it's digital and I also just used five galln buckets weighed the water wrote it down then added rock weighed again then split the difference. Mine weighed the the .00 but still not sure if it was acurate as can be but worked great to the the pound:)

gobytron
10-26-2010, 03:07 PM
edited title...lol
Now with accuracy.

Myka
10-26-2010, 03:12 PM
I check my scales with a set of iron weights that I picked up at a yard sale real cheap years ago. They are made for the old balance type scales.

I use a digital kitchen scale to weigh piece by piece. It only goes to 25 lbs though I think, so if you had big pieces it wouldn't work. This scale cost $20 at the grocery store, and is actually quite accurate. I use it to weigh reef chemicals too for mixing for my dosers. It uses a 9V battery that I unplug when I'm not using the scale.

For larger amounts I have a digital bathroom scale that I use to weigh myself. I find it accurate enough for live rock batches that are over 100 lbs. This scale was $50 on sale at Extra Foods or something like that. Can't remember what batteries it uses.

gobytron
10-26-2010, 03:24 PM
anyone with anything more ideal for LR?

I have peices that are easily 25+ lbs...

There's gotta be a middle ground...any culinary red seals out there have a line on a cheap kitchen scale that can go up to 30-40 lbs?

sphelps
10-26-2010, 04:07 PM
Use a bucket and a hanging fish scale. Typically these scales are 50lb capacity and can be fairly accurate in the lower range. I have one I use for luggage and it works OK but it's just a spring and dial one, if you get a digital one with an S-beam type load cell your accuracy can be within 0.1%.