PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf seahorse (H.zosterae)

zenafish
10-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Finally, after some set backs, my dwarves are right back into business, now spawning happily :) A new batch is ready to go.

Dwarf seahorses are indigenous to the Florida and Gulf coast, living in seagrass beds. These guys are NOT EASY TO COME BY IN CANADA! They grow to about 1.5" full grown, and give birth to live ready-to-hitch fry. When taken care of properly, they've been called "saltwater guppies" for being highly prolific. Because they're so small they should be in their own tank with minimal predators/stressors. Do best in colonies. 6 is a good number for a 5 or 10 gallon tank/fuge. Optimal temperature 72-76F, SG 1.020-1.025.

Both adult and fry eat the same food - LIVE BABY BRINE SHRIMP (newly hatched and/or enriched) and/or copepods. LIVE FOOD ONLY! If you want you can try teach them to eat frozen cyclopeeze. They may or may not take it - this one is your own gamble. I do not endorse nor provide support if you decide to do so.

The ones I'm selling are about 6-8 months old. They're mostly white, some may show dark patterns or color.

1-5: $25 each.
6 plus: $20 each.
Extra discount for 20 plus.

Your pick of gender, I'll do my best to accommodate but no promises. Pick up in southwest Mississauga (Ontario) or ship at buyers expense.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg50/zenafish/IMG_0961.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg50/zenafish/IMG_0983.jpg

zenafish
11-02-2010, 03:21 PM
bumpidy bump.

I also have berghia nudibranch, $25, or 5 for $100. They've wiped out my multiple tanks of aiptasia and now need to find new homes before they starve!

zenafish
11-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Sneak peek for NEXT batch...these were born on Halloween sunday :)

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg50/zenafish/DSC_7849.jpg

ALang
11-02-2010, 05:20 PM
I always always wanted these! But my busy life style doesn't allow me to be that diligent in hatching and feeding live brine shrimps:sad:
I had the larger ponies and they did great on frozen mysis, and even then, when we go out of town, it's hit and miss for the sons to feed them at least a couple of times a day.:redface:
Well, it's great to know of a canadian source/breeder. Keep up the good work! I am hoping that maybe when we retire, I can have at least a small tank of these in our RV, while traveling around Canada and US.:smile:

sphelps
11-02-2010, 08:01 PM
So can these horses survive purely on fresh hatched brine shrimp? Or do they have to be enriched or fed something else for long term survival?

Do you have an idea on how much brine shrimp would be needed on a daily biases to sustain 6 of these guys in a small tank around 5-10 gallons?

zenafish
11-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Freshly hatched baby brine shrimp is sufficient to sustain them, but it's been shown that enrichments high in HUFA works wonders in prolonging their life and promoting breeding.

The amount you feed depend on volume of water, not on the number of seahorses. Seahorses are opportunistic ambush hunters. They wait for the food to "pass by their doorstep". You should maintain a baby brine shrimp density of a "light flurries" in Canadian terminology :lol:.

I feed my 40gal breeder with 200 dwarves 1/8 teaspoon, hatched out at assumingly 75%, per day.

Key Equine
11-03-2010, 11:03 PM
Great work, I can't even imagine the time you must spend on your tanks!! So dedicated... congrats on your success!!

tinman
11-04-2010, 02:33 AM
hey i sure could use some pointers on this ours have a batch about every 30 days and well we just never seem to catch this and if we do find a couple they don't make it more than a few days so we would like to try and save a few any help would be welcome
thanks

zenafish
11-04-2010, 01:33 PM
@tinman...PM sent.

billb
02-11-2011, 12:56 AM
I'm looking to start a dwarf tank. Please pm me if you still breed them.
thanks,
Bill