PDA

View Full Version : Min size tank for two ocellaris clowns?

Milad
10-25-2010, 05:01 AM
Whats the min size tank I could put two black ocellaris clowns in?
I have two in my DT and they are getting beat up by this stupid cinn bitch of a clown.

would 8g work?

eguld
10-25-2010, 05:28 AM
I have two in a 14G biocube with a wrasse. I don't think I would go smaller. Infact I am moving all three of them to my rsm-250 because they are too crammed. But two ocellaris in a 14G biocube by themselves might be okay, on the small side long term maybe though.

gobytron
10-25-2010, 02:02 PM
they'd likely be fine all by themsleves in an 8 gallon...

Is it ideal....probably not but I would bet they would be just fine in there...especially with something to host as clowns tha host seem to require less swimming space.

Madreefer
10-25-2010, 04:55 PM
How may anemones do you have? You could always have one on each side of your tank for the 2 different species to house in. I did that for years with no problems, they stayed on different sides of the tank. The black clowns are way cooler than the cinnamon. Kick the cinnamon to the smaller tank, most people have the orange and white clowns so be a little different.

Milad
10-25-2010, 04:56 PM
How may anemones do you have? You could always have one on each side of your tank for the 2 different species to house in. I did that for years with no problems, they stayed on different sides of the tank. The black clowns are way cooler than the cinnamon. Kick the cinnamon to the smaller tank, most people have the orange and white clowns so be a little different.

well i cant catch the cinns, they are elusive and fat.

Madreefer
10-25-2010, 05:05 PM
well i cant catch the cinns, they are elusive and fat.

Do they have an anemone? If so catch them in it at night it while they sleep.

Myka
10-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Two Oscellaris in an 8 gallon? Are you guys nuts? That's horrible... :( The pair will grow quite large, with the female becoming 3 1/2 to 4". Why not put them in a 20 high? That would be a much nicer life for them. If you lived closer I would bring you a 20 high just to know they would be put in it!

Milad
10-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Two Oscellaris in an 8 gallon? Are you guys nuts? That's horrible... :( The pair will grow quite large, with the female becoming 3 1/2 to 4". Why not put them in a 20 high? That would be a much nicer life for them. If you lived closer I would bring you a 20 high just to know they would be put in it!

well i forgot to mention im building a fish room and once thats build im putting in a frag tank in another room which will be for them and some frags and a big carpet.

frag tank will probably something like 24Lx24Wx24H
i just want to get them away from the stupid cinn which keeps biting them when food is dropped into the tank

Milad
10-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Do they have an anemone? If so catch them in it at night it while they sleep.

they do but i feel like they are part of the family now even though they bite me and are fat and i stalk Sh*t about them all the time

reefwars
10-25-2010, 07:04 PM

holy me and mindy agree on something lol yeah i cant see a clown being happy in an 8g i know that i have a pair of cinnamon clowns in a 33g that i know they wish they were in bigger. and i had a true host that never left my anemone more than a few inches but once they are full grown they will need room to " dash" and like myka said maybe higher would be better if you dont have the space for a larger tank.

also when i went to big als last i could buy a 30g for like $30 and cheaper again if you posted an ad here looking for one:)

Milad
10-25-2010, 07:17 PM
holy me and mindy agree on something lol yeah i cant see a clown being happy in an 8g i know that i have a pair of cinnamon clowns in a 33g that i know they wish they were in bigger. and i had a true host that never left my anemone more than a few inches but once they are full grown they will need room to " dash" and like myka said maybe higher would be better if you dont have the space for a larger tank.

also when i went to big als last i could buy a 30g for like $30 and cheaper again if you posted an ad here looking for one:)

already posted! find me a cube

reefwars
10-25-2010, 07:22 PM
already posted! find me a cube

nice im a fan of the cube's:)

Myka
10-25-2010, 07:54 PM
well i forgot to mention im building a fish room and once thats build im putting in a frag tank in another room which will be for them and some frags and a big carpet.

frag tank will probably something like 24Lx24Wx24H
i just want to get them away from the stupid cinn which keeps biting them when food is dropped into the tank

Well if it is just temporary, and for real temporary (so many people "plan" an upgrade, but never "get around to it"), then I can't see it being much of an issue as long as you can keep the water quality high, and they are only in there for a month or two max. BUT, a bigger tank isn't expensive, and it wouldn't be much effort to put them into something more suitable. Maybe you can borrow a tank until you get the cube set up?

holy me and mindy agree on something lol

That can't be! :eek: I change my mind then. :p

Milad
10-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Well if it is just temporary, and for real temporary (so many people "plan" an upgrade, but never "get around to it"), then I can't see it being much of an issue as long as you can keep the water quality high, and they are only in there for a month or two max. BUT, a bigger tank isn't expensive, and it wouldn't be much effort to put them into something more suitable. Maybe you can borrow a tank until you get the cube set up?

That can't be! :eek: I change my mind then. :p

if someone around here would let me borrow one that would be great :)
or even if someone wants to hold the clowns for me for couple months.

gobytron
10-26-2010, 02:51 PM
I kept 2 clowns and a gramma in a 12 gallon AP for over 2 years.

Was it ideal for them...no.

did it work well or me...yes.

Myka
10-26-2010, 03:16 PM
I kept 2 clowns and a gramma in a 12 gallon AP for over 2 years.

Was it ideal for them...no.

did it work well or me...yes.

Tsk-tsk.

gobytron
10-26-2010, 03:20 PM
Too funny...

Tsk Tsk all you want, you take a fish (or any organism) out of the ocean and you are no better than me...there is no sliding scale to sin.

Tsk Tsk

reefwars
10-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Too funny...

Tsk Tsk all you want, you take a fish (or any organism) out of the ocean and you are no better than me...there is no sliding scale to sin.

Tsk Tsk

That statement gets used to much in defense to housing fush in small tanks..... Here's the reality we DO take things from the ocean , all you can do is try to provide some happiness....will it survive in a super small tank , possibly but you can't pussibly look at your fish and say it's happy. small tanks under 50g are soooo cheap not a whole lot if diff in 8g or 12g . I will leave it at that as in this topic there's a lot of diff of opinion:)

Milad
10-30-2010, 01:22 AM
FYI these two clowns are going into a 14g biocube I just bought
Im guessing they are going to stay there for another couple months until I setup a 50-60g cube/frag tank.

they will be with a yellow clown goby and maybe a few corals and maybe a anemone if I can find a decent size one. I cant put a carpet in a 14g can I?

reefwars
10-30-2010, 01:28 AM
FYI these two clowns are going into a 14g biocube I just bought
Im guessing they are going to stay there for another couple months until I setup a 50-60g cube/frag tank.

they will be with a yellow clown goby and maybe a few corals and maybe a anemone if I can find a decent size one. I cant put a carpet in a 14g can I?

they have mini carpets you can buy, and you could still put a carpet in a small tank if the carpet is small but they grow to be pretty big would probably fill a 14g lol:) fyi though carpets are vicious lol be careful what you house with a carpet even clowns can get eaten but especially smaller slow moving fish:) my carpet has claimed a 4" filefish and a 3" pj cardinal not to metion for me anyways the possibility of moving and taking a stroll across corals:):)

Milad
10-30-2010, 02:31 AM
they have mini carpets you can buy, and you could still put a carpet in a small tank if the carpet is small but they grow to be pretty big would probably fill a 14g lol:) fyi though carpets are vicious lol be careful what you house with a carpet even clowns can get eaten but especially smaller slow moving fish:) my carpet has claimed a 4" filefish and a 3" pj cardinal not to metion for me anyways the possibility of moving and taking a stroll across corals:):)

what color? black clowns green carpet? red? blue?