PDA

View Full Version : a 96" tank what lighting

Skimmerking
10-24-2010, 03:43 PM
OK I have currently on my 60" tank is 2x400's 20K XM's I'm looking at going 3 MH over a tank that is 96" can it be done. I'm looking at buying the MH that some one on here has that are the interchangeable ones from 250, 250 HQI, 400, 400 HQI.
So if I ran 2 400's on the ends and a 250 in the midle and then once the bulbs are done go with 3x250's on a 8 footer would this work. other then goign with a light mover. Trying to get one its crazy too and $$$$

Aquattro
10-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Sure it can be done, but I'd go 4 bulbs over that length if it were my tank.

Myka
10-24-2010, 04:00 PM
It depends what reflector you use, whether you use DE or SE, how even you want the lighting to look, and what corals you want to grow where. The ends will be shaded or you will get spotlight effects if the reflectors are spaced too far from eachother. Will you be using supplemental T5 or VHO?

Skimmerking
10-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Sure it can be done, but I'd go 4 bulbs over that length if it were my tank.

Thanks Brad another thing I was talking to the person who is going to build it and Im going with a external overflow box. And the braces i have two options Its going to be euro braced around and the center braces are either
2 x8" braces spaced evenly or one in the middle that is wider. with the bracing around I can then add my screens around that have that lip to lay over the tank if I have any jumpers...

Skimmerking
10-24-2010, 04:02 PM
It depends what reflector you use, whether you use DE or SE, how even you want the lighting to look, and what corals you want to grow where. The ends will be shaded or you will get spotlight effects if the reflectors are spaced too far from eachother. Will you be using supplemental T5 or VHO?

Hey Mindy the Reflectors are lumen arc i have 2 of them and so I would have to buy another one. for supplement lighting I was thinking of 2x vho's I still havent decided yet on that.

Myka
10-24-2010, 04:04 PM
I would use two braces, but get them to space them according to your light setup. Spacing them evenly would probably put them under the halides. If you space the braces evenly the halides will have to be spaced evenly and you will get a spotlight effect. So it depends...do you want spotlight effect or dim ends? Dim ends will make the tank look not as long, but spotlight looks weird imo.

Myka
10-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Hey Mindy the Reflectors are lumen arc i have 2 of them and so I would have to buy another one. for supplement lighting I was thinking of 2x vho's I still havent decided yet on that.

Oh good, I was hoping you were using big reflectors. DE or SE? You will get the best spread with SE bulb and usually greater output (depending on ballast). HQI setting on SE bulb will overdrive the bulb getting greater output (using more electricity), but you would need to replace bulbs more often than usual. I honestly don't think you need anything more than 250w electronic ballasts with SE bulbs. I think those switchable ballasts you're looking at aren't necessary, and you could be wiser with your spending. Unless you want to use a low output bulb like a XM 20K...in which case I think 400w might be a better choice. But wow, that's a lot of electricity.

I would suggest a good quality bulb for better output , and one that isn't too blue to help the tank look brighter. I would suggest four 48" VHO or T5 running the length of the tank one on each side of the halides for the most even look. Fluorescents can be off while halides are on to save power. Do you prefer a whiter or bluer look? What halide bulbs are you currently using? Do you like the color? Would you like to use the same bulbs?

marie
10-24-2010, 04:16 PM
With my 8fter I am going to go with a center brace and 4 250w MH's

Myka
10-24-2010, 04:20 PM
With my 8fter I am going to go with a center brace and 4 250w MH's

Good call.

You can always change two halides every 6 months to help offset costs. I would always keep the two new bulbs in the center, rotating the older two to the outside.

Skimmerking
10-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Oh good, I was hoping you were using big reflectors. DE or SE? You will get the best spread with SE bulb and usually greater output (depending on ballast). HQI setting on SE bulb will overdrive the bulb getting greater output (using more electricity), but you would need to replace bulbs more often than usual. I honestly don't think you need anything more than 250w electronic ballasts with SE bulbs. I think those switchable ballasts you're looking at aren't necessary, and you could be wiser with your spending. Unless you want to use a low output bulb like a XM 20K...in which case I think 400w might be a better choice. But wow, that's a lot of electricity.

I would suggest a good quality bulb for better output , and one that isn't too blue to help the tank look brighter. I would suggest four 48" VHO or T5 running the length of the tank one on each side of the halides for the most even look. Fluorescents can be off while halides are on to save power. Do you prefer a whiter or bluer look? What halide bulbs are you currently using? Do you like the color? Would you like to use the same bulbs?

the bulbs are 20K XM's i like them
4x 48" VHO' wholly
the bulbs are SE
i was looking at going 250's again
If I went 400's that is 1200W and however that i can hang them high enough to get the spread and then Im good to go right.

something like a 6500K IWASAKI lol

yes I love the blue look ,but I like the acans to grow that is what I Have All LPS and 3 squamosa clams

StirCrazy
10-24-2010, 05:42 PM
ok, so one problem here.. if you only go with 3 bulbs then you will have to lift them up to around 16" or more to get an even spread across 8 foot.

since you are lifting them the PAR values are going to drop in the tank and you are also thinking of dropping down to 250's . 250 watt is not always a down grade from 400's but with the ballasts you are looking at ya they are. so now you are lowering your PAR even more.

I recomend that you stay with 400's if you want 3, or go to 4 MH if your dropping to 250's on an electronic ballast.

I would personaly go with 4 bulbs either way, but I also like lots of PAR.

Steve

Lance
10-24-2010, 05:56 PM
ok, so one problem here.. if you only go with 3 bulbs then you will have to lift them up to around 16" or more to get an even spread across 8 foot.

since you are lifting them the PAR values are going to drop in the tank and you are also thinking of dropping down to 250's . 250 watt is not always a down grade from 400's but with the ballasts you are looking at ya they are. so now you are lowering your PAR even more.

I recomend that you stay with 400's if you want 3, or go to 4 MH if your dropping to 250's on an electronic ballast.

I would personaly go with 4 bulbs either way, but I also like lots of PAR.

Steve

I agree. 3 bulbs/400W 4 bulbs/400W or 250W

Mrfish55
10-24-2010, 06:36 PM
My 750 is 8feet long and 5 feet wide, I am only using 2x175w single end in Lumenmax Elite reflectors with 2 6 foot VHO flourescents for supplementation (all about 16" above the surface), I have not checked par but there is no shaded spots and the tank looks pretty well evenly lit, granted it is a FOWLR but there is one anenome in there that is doing well, If I ever switched it to a reef I think I would add a third reflector and bump it to 400w, it all depends on bulb choice and reflector type IMO, I am running 3 400w SE on the 300 reef and the 750 still looks brighter visually, again I do not have a par meter to compare the important numbers.

Skimmerking
10-24-2010, 07:21 PM
i have 2 400's over the 5 footer and its 16" and i have overlapping all corals seems happy to me i guess.

Myka
10-24-2010, 11:20 PM
the bulbs are 20K XM's i like them
4x 48" VHO' wholly
the bulbs are SE
i was looking at going 250's again
If I went 400's that is 1200W and however that i can hang them high enough to get the spread and then Im good to go right.

something like a 6500K IWASAKI lol

yes I love the blue look ,but I like the acans to grow that is what I Have All LPS and 3 squamosa clams

Meh, if it's all LPS and lower light clams I don't think you need 400w (even with just 3 bulbs), although it wouldn't be a bad idea with your bulb choice.

You would get much more PAR if you use a Phoenix bulb (although SE are tough to find), and with some UVL Super Actinic VHO you will still get quite a blue look. I actually even find the UVL 454 to be brighter and even more fluoresce intense than the Super Actinic.

Skimmerking
10-25-2010, 01:03 AM
Meh, if it's all LPS and lower light clams I don't think you need 400w (even with just 3 bulbs), although it wouldn't be a bad idea with your bulb choice.

You would get much more PAR if you use a Phoenix bulb (although SE are tough to find), and with some UVL Super Actinic VHO you will still get quite a blue look. I actually even find the UVL 454 to be brighter and even more fluoresce intense than the Super Actinic.

ya i heard that Mindy about the phoenix i loved them when they were on my DE 250's to bad i wont go back to DE only because of the bulbs how they are made. i hate when i break a 120 dollar bulb,

Skimmerking
10-25-2010, 01:05 AM
see when i had all my SPS i moved to 400W because sphelps was looking to trade them off so me like to be curious and all, well you know the rest of the story.
I think having the 400's i can push them up higher and still achieve the par I'm thinking. maybe put a 250 in the middle

Myka
10-25-2010, 01:44 AM
ya i heard that Mindy about the phoenix i loved them when they were on my DE 250's to bad i wont go back to DE only because of the bulbs how they are made. i hate when i break a 120 dollar bulb,

Where are you paying $120 for a 250w Phoenix DE? Eep! Should be $65-85. I have never broke one, what the heck were you doing with it? I have someone trying to get 250w Phoenix SE for me...hopefully that works, and I can share my source! :D

Skimmerking
10-25-2010, 03:49 AM
It was a megachrome bulb that I bought and well I pushed on the bulb ends and well she snapped ya I love that bulb just need a 250 ballast now itslikepullinf teen getting one some people are freaking lazy to ship a small ice cap ballast local shipping meh kiss my &&@

Myka
10-25-2010, 03:59 AM
I hear ya.

StirCrazy
10-25-2010, 05:16 PM
I think having the 400's i can push them up higher and still achieve the par I'm thinking. maybe put a 250 in the middle

why are you looking at a 250 if you have two 400's all ready? if you have to buy a ballast anyways there is realy not much difference in price to get a 400 over a 250. then all you bulbs are the same and you can push them all up a bit.. or is there a reason you want a 250?

Steve

Skimmerking
10-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Nope not really Steve. I thought about going all 250's but if I hav the 400's well then you know might as well look at that ..............