PDA

View Full Version : Brown film on surface of water

molybdenumman
12-05-2003, 11:53 PM
In the past week or two, my tank has developed a brown film on the top. I have a maxi jet 900 moving the 55 gallons of water in my tank but it doesn't seem to affect the brown scum. The powerhead is about 3-4 inches below the water level.

Has anyone encountered this brown film and possibly have some suggestions to get rid of it? Is my powerhead too low in the tank?

My water conditions appear to be good, nothing too out of the ordinary.

MoMAN

three dawgs
12-05-2003, 11:57 PM
I'm still fairly new tol the honny but I had the same thing. Reefraf told me to raise powerhead to agitate water and it worked. Wait for otherrep;ies to make sure though

Stretch
12-05-2003, 11:59 PM
Yeah I noticed it yesterday, My guess is it started forming after i redirected the water flow, Before it was breaking the water surface. I made my power heads break the surface again. Looks like its gone.

Bob I
12-06-2003, 12:46 AM
Yes that is lovely stuff. There are a number of ways to combat it. Powerheads aimed at the surface may work. Another inexpensive way is to just hang any size Aquaclear filter in the tank. Another way is a skimmer with a surface intake, another is a fluval with a surface skimmer, and lastly there is also a surface skimming attachment for Aquaclear. Hope that is enough. :biggrin: