PDA

View Full Version : Trigger's with cloudy eyes. Help

PoonTang
10-23-2010, 08:53 PM
My trigger fish have cloudy eyes in both eyes each. None of the other fish in the tank seem to be affected but by the way the triggers behave I am pretty sure it is affecting the vision of the Male. I assume it is simply a bacterial infection but dont know for sure. Any suggestions on a cause and/or cure?

Lance
10-23-2010, 10:47 PM
Darren, sounds like a bacterial infection. Kanamycin sulfate or Gentamycin sulfate for cloudy eyes. If you can't find them, Melafix will work also.

PoonTang
10-23-2010, 10:54 PM
Darren, sounds like a bacterial infection. Kanamycin sulfate or Gentamycin sulfate for cloudy eyes. If you can't find them, Melafix will work also.
where do you get them and are they reef safe? Melafix i do have on hand tho.

Lance
10-23-2010, 10:58 PM
where do you get them and are they reef safe? Melafix i do have on hand tho.

The other two are hard to find. If you have the Melafix try it. I use it in a hospital tank and just use a half dose. Usually works quickly. Epsom salts should help as well.

PoonTang
10-23-2010, 11:07 PM
The other two are hard to find. If you have the Melafix try it. I use it in a hospital tank and just use a half dose. Usually works quickly. Epsom salts should help as well.

Ill give it a try. Thanks

Lance
10-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Ill give it a try. Thanks

Good Luck!

Lance
10-25-2010, 02:57 AM
How are they doing?

PoonTang
10-25-2010, 03:33 AM
How are they doing?
Well I dosed yesterday and today but dont see any real improvement. I will dose again tomorrow too. The good news is that nothing seems to be reacting badly to the treatment so keeping my fingers crossed. I really dont like having the skimmers off for this long tho. :(

Lance
10-25-2010, 06:12 AM
No access to a hospital tank?

PoonTang
10-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Not seeing any adverse affects to not running a skimmer yet but am keeping a very close eye on everything. I have a bunch of new water ready to go. I have a hospital tank but getting the triggers out of the reef is sketchy at best. They both pretty skiddish still. Switching over to Pimafix this morning too, they are supposed to work well together.

daniella3d
10-25-2010, 03:27 PM
It is very easy and not expensive to order kanamycine sulfate from Jehmco.

http://jehmco.com/html/medications.html

All you have to do is fill up a form that they send you to confirm you are not using it for resale etc..and it is not for commercial fishery and sign it and return it to them by fax for the first time order. After that they will ship you kanamycin and metronidazole for very affordable! You only have to fill the form once, never after that.

I bought a few times from them metro and kanamycin and very happy with this company.

I would not treat kanamycine in the main tank but if you can get the fish to eat that, they have medicated food as well.