PDA

View Full Version : Clown aggression towards new Flame Angel

cwatkins
10-23-2010, 02:05 AM
Hi All,

Some advice is needed from the experts :)

We added a little 2" flame angel last Sunday and strangely my female Perc is terrorizing it. Keeps it pinned into a hiding spot in the rockwork until lights are out. If it comes out then she chases right after it and they zip around the tank until she gives up or the angel hides. She'll spot it from across the tank and go right after it. This is extrememly odd because the clowns were the first fish added a year ago, and there have been several fish added since then without any problem. Never before have I seen this behaviour from her.

The only two issues I can think of is similar colour and size; or because we just added a new BTA that they're hosting 3 weeks ago so maybe she's over protective. Or it could just be a new behaviour she's aquired.

I've been waiting all week to see if she gets tired of this behaviour, but tonight I noticed some parts of the Angel's tail have been nipped off (oh just great). The funny thing is they ignore the coral beauty. Same size same shape, just different colour.

The unfortunate thing is I like the flame angel more than the clown at this moment due to the aggressive baviour I'm seeing.

So should someone be sold, or move the BTA or adjust some rockwork, QT the bigger Perc for a while (separate them), etc.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

90 Gallon reef - 1 year old.
10 fish and a couple bottom dwellers.

reefwars
10-23-2010, 02:25 AM
typical clown behavior its prob a little everything ...the new bta, similar color and size, territory clowns tend to terorize the weak and the flame is showing weakness so its a target you can try to re arrange some rock work but its a in sight thing if the clown can see it and it doesnt want it around it will push,attack or chase it away.you can add some hiding places with pvc piping untill the clowns are a little more use to it but eventually they will either work it out or the weaker of the two will get stressed and die or be killed.........what can i say clowns are aggresive fish:)

Murminator
10-23-2010, 05:12 AM
Wait there will be revenge for the flame angel after he eats his wheaties once he gets used to the tank he will put the clown on the run haven't seen a dwarf angel back down to a fight yet

Wayne
10-24-2010, 12:18 AM
Update on the aggression? If its bad enough you are going to have to seperate them....

paddyob
10-24-2010, 12:32 AM
Wait there will be revenge for the flame angel after he eats his wheaties once he gets used to the tank he will put the clown on the run haven't seen a dwarf angel back down to a fight yet

Agreed.... the angel should be ok once it gets used to the surroundings. Angels are usually "alpha" fish in a tank and can be quite aggressive themselves.

Watch the angel for serious injury... tail nips will grow back... but ensure it does not get the snot beat out of it or it WILL die.

Separating the clowns or rearranging rock work MIGHT work. In a 90 gallon I am surprised there is any issue at all.

Keep an eye on it and act as the referee if needed.