PDA

View Full Version : Would I have to cycle a new tank if I already have a tank?

Milad
10-23-2010, 01:01 AM
If i have a tank already, can I just transfer the water and everything to a new tank or do I have to cycle it all again?

lastlight
10-23-2010, 01:07 AM
Assuming you're not adding more rock or livestock in the process I don't see why you'd have a cycle.

BlueWorldAquatic
10-23-2010, 01:10 AM
WOuld be easy enough, I woudln't recommend reusing the sandbed though.

Use as much as the old water as possible, and maybe to help stabalize it, use seachem's stability.

Ken - BWA

daniella3d
10-23-2010, 02:23 AM
YOu might have a mini cycle, not sure. If you have to add more liverock make sure it's cured. As for the sand, there is a lot of good bacterias in it but depending on the age of your current tank and the dept of the sand bed, it may also have anaerobic pocket that could release deadly gas and kill everything in your tank so go very slowly and be sure to remove everything alive before preceding. In case there is some gas released at least your fish and coral won't be there to die from this poison.

I would keep part of the sand if it is not black or too dirthy because there is probably a lot of living creature in there that take a long time to establish. I read that one of the reason sps grow much better in older tank is because of the presence of living plankton.

fishytime
10-23-2010, 04:10 AM
depends how long the rock is exposed to the air:mrgreen:

howdy20012002
10-23-2010, 04:22 AM
In my opinion.
DONT use the sand.
I have moved lots of tanks and the only time that I have had any problems is when I have moved the sand.
If you want sand, put new sand in, let it settle with some new water.
then add the old water and LR
like mentioned, use as much of the old water as possible. but as you get closer to getting everything out, the water will be pretty useless because of all of the stuff that will be stirred up.
hope this helps.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-23-2010, 05:58 AM
In the past, I've transferred everything over no problem. I washed out my sand and then added it in.

I've also helped with a transfer which included the sandbed and other than a few days of murky water, not much of a problem. A small amount of nitrite (treated with heavy dosing of Prime) and some phosphate, but the tank is mainly a fish only with a few softies. If its for a reef with lots of lps/sps, then transferring the sand (as is) is probably not a good idea.

lastlight
10-23-2010, 06:02 AM
I did 5g swaps daily when moving to the new system. I had to cycle the rock anyways so with each 5g I'd simply siphon as much sand from tank 1 and just dump it into tank 2. Transfer went great but like I said I cycled the new tank.

lockrookie
10-23-2010, 06:11 AM
i find this an interesting question as i took 90 percent of my water from my 90 with water changes and aded to my 50. added fully cured live rock and have noticed no spike in lefels thus far. but to be safe i think i am going to wait it out still just to be sure. my test today a week in so far the levels are perfect.

just wish the skimmer would calm down and quit with the micro bubbles is all

howdy20012002
10-23-2010, 07:07 AM
if you wash your sand thoroughly you should be ok..
IMO like I said before, just don't transfer it over without cleaning it though.

lockrookie
10-23-2010, 07:21 AM
new tank, new sand, new live cured rock from friends live rock, recycled tank water (see im being green minded lol). ill still wait just to be sure. i dont want to rush it. even though i want to. last thing i want to o is make a fish suffer dueu to impatience but i did expect a quick cycle with using therecycled tank water from water changes.

Madreefer
10-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Sounds like a simple transfer. I've done it several times with out any losses or negative effects. I usually replace half of the sand. Your tank is'nt that old so your sandbed should'nt be too bad to deal with. Just plan well ahead and have everything ready to make it a quick and easy job. Don't let everybody get you all stressed out and worried about H2S and all that other crap. It's pretty simple and within a day everything should look good.