PDA

View Full Version : Water Purification in top up bucket

freezetyle
10-22-2010, 07:12 PM
If one didnt have an RO machine. Aside from adding something like prime. do you think it would be beneficial to add carbon or something like zeolites to your top up bucket so the water is passively filtered by them? pretty expensive i guess in the long run, but if you had space restraints might be an idea

I have an RO machine but watching dragons den and having some people trying to sell zeolites as an all in one filter for the fridge water etc got me thinking if you could do this.

spawn
10-22-2010, 09:29 PM
The Dragon's den rules, because of all the terrible ideas. You get to witness people's complete ignorance to the fact that they are out of touch with reality.
I don't mean this as an attack on your idea, I just find that show really funny because of that just said & Kevin Oleary is awesome.

BWI
10-22-2010, 10:30 PM
dont think it would be that effective

mark
10-22-2010, 10:31 PM
back to wetwebmedia, thought was if your city water was treated with chlorine, just let it aerate in a pail for a day, no Prime or anything needed.

BWI
10-22-2010, 10:37 PM
yea but there is alot more then just chlorine in our water... will work for sure but they add other chemicals to the water for purity and to kill toxins... to be honest, even though there is a upfront cost to a RO or RO/DI u can use the units for soo much more then just our tanks!

MrGoodbytes
10-23-2010, 05:01 AM
I agree. You'll save more in the long run and exert less effort with an RO/DI unit.

freezetyle
10-23-2010, 05:07 AM
The Dragon's den rules, because of all the terrible ideas. You get to witness people's complete ignorance to the fact that they are out of touch with reality.
I don't mean this as an attack on your idea, I just find that show really funny because of that just said & Kevin Oleary is awesome.

Yea i agree. I do use an RO/DI machine. I was just curious if people out there would/have used this type of idea.

Watching the people on the show market zeolites as an air freshener, water purifier, De-icer(previous episode). made me wonder

MrGoodbytes
10-23-2010, 05:15 AM
I should have noticed you mentioned you have an RO unit.

A quick search on google yielded this paper: http://www.onepetro.org/mslib/servlet/onepetropreview?id=SPE-106168-MS&soc=SPE

It seems to have been thought of, as indicated by this paper. However, it's late and I will leave a more concise literature survey to another day :P.