PDA

View Full Version : Best skimmer out there?

Milad
10-22-2010, 02:20 PM
So is there a site that ranks skimmers?
Im eyeing BKs, ASM G6 and even thinking on a DIY

If you had the room what would you go with? Is there downfall to some designs?

sphelps
10-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Can't go wrong with a BK but many others will get the job done. The new vertex line is pretty nice, using the same pumps as BK and sell for less. Euro-reefs or ASM are a more economical choice but can tend to be noisy and less consistent.

Basically buy whatever your budget allows for. Great tanks are not based on the type of skimmer you use.

lastlight
10-22-2010, 04:01 PM
So long as the skimmer is sized accordingly I really believe most skimmer brands will get it done with some being slightly better than others.

If you want silence or a better pump you pay FAR more. The better pumps also come on the skimmers with cell-cast acrylic and machined parts rather than cheaper extruded. They also come with other subtle features that may boost performance a little but I don't believe your value increases proportionally to the cost. If your fancy pump fails (as mine did before you even have the skimmer running) then it can be a real hassle getting it repaired or replaced too.

I can appreciate why someone would want a BK afterall I saved like a dog to get one. Now that I've bought into the mid-range market with everything on my current tank I find that's what's best for me and I'll do the same next time. I prefer having more money for livestock and chemicals etc.

Just my 0.02

Slick Fork
10-22-2010, 05:00 PM
As lastlight mentioned, depends on your budget. I'd recommend a nice midrange vertex or Bubble Magus. Consider what a "High-End" skimmer costs and decide if the extra $500-$2000 could be better spent elsewhere. My vertex (Gen1) pump is not the quietest or most energy efficient but the money I didn't spend on a super fancy gold plated skimmer pump is money I have to spend elsewhere on my system (IE a really nice controller or better lights, etc.).

lastlight
10-22-2010, 05:03 PM
Well yeah if I didn't have to save and scrimp for a build and I was well off nothing I said would apply. I'm sure I'd go high-end once more.

sphelps
10-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Where do you get a gold plated skimmer pump from? I want one! :lol:

gobytron
10-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Honestly, I LOVE my deltec APF701.

Incredible RC Skimmer and whisper quiet to boot.

Great for around 800$

randallino
10-22-2010, 05:32 PM
You get what you pay for. I love my BK easy to clean, empty, take apart etc, and does a great job. If you what to spend less than you're most likely going to get something made in China. Oh by the way the pump isn't gold plated. :wink:

Aquattro
10-22-2010, 05:47 PM
I've got a Euroreef CS8-3+ and couldn't be happier. Got it used for $300 and it will handle any tank I might ever upgrade to..

lastlight
10-22-2010, 05:52 PM
You need to dream bigger then Brad. For shame you should be able to even think such a thing =)

sphelps
10-22-2010, 06:00 PM
The other thing to consider is skimmer height. While some companies like BK maintain a lower profile by using larger diameter tube others will just add more height which can be OK in some cases but for example a 30" skimmer will not fit under most stands. This is important to consider for future builds as well not just the current one, especially if the skimmer is a decent investment.

lastlight
10-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Yeah location is key. If you don't need it under a stand chances are you're in a fishroom as well. Then you don't need short OR silent which means savings and you can get a larger skimmer in a mid-range which will likely out-perform a high-end skimmer for the same price.

Aquattro
10-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Ya, my one drawback is that I need to build my new stand taller than I would like. Skimmer needs at least 32" for clearance, which puts me near 3feet of stand. Just a bit higher than I'd prefer...

Aquattro
10-22-2010, 06:16 PM
You need to dream bigger then Brad. For shame you should be able to even think such a thing =)

Well, I'm pushing the limits of what my second floor will hold now, so going bigger than 500g is not likely ever gonna happen :)

globaldesigns
10-22-2010, 06:51 PM
I do love my Hydor 1000, it is a great recirc skimmer, and high quality. With one input pump and 2 recirc pumps, it does a great job in a very small footprint.

Kevotron
10-22-2010, 07:04 PM
I personally like Bubble Magus, super economical and gets the job done...

Doug
10-22-2010, 10:38 PM
You get what you pay for. I love my BK easy to clean, empty, take apart etc, and does a great job. If you what to spend less than you're most likely going to get something made in China. Oh by the way the pump isn't gold plated. :wink:

Just for the sake of argument, let me disagree with that. :D

I seen and cleaned both of Mike,s BK skimmers and although superb pieces of equipment, I would have taken the Deltec he had before those. The price was less also and not made in China. Then again, whats the matter with that?? The SWC 160 I just used, had to be the best skimmer i have used for smaller tanks.

I,m sure their larger version is just as good.

Also, again just my opinion. Before I would spend a $1000 plus on a skimmer I would go back to a beckett, with a proper pump and puts its waste collection up against anything else.

Aquattro
10-23-2010, 06:21 AM
I would go back to a beckett, with a proper pump and puts its waste collection up against anything else.

I'm tempted to hook up my Bullet 2 and see how it compares to the ER...probably would do well, but the pump would be too loud, me thinks...

randallino
10-23-2010, 06:37 AM
I understand your point your trying to make, but there is a lot of garbage out there that is cheap. I also agree you don't have to drop a grand on a skimmer, but I know I will have my BK longer than most other brands because of quality construction.

"Also, again just my opinion. Before I would spend a $1000 plus on a skimmer I would go back to a beckett, with a proper pump and puts its waste collection up against anything else."

Get ear plugs....

Skimmerking
10-23-2010, 02:33 PM
yup started with a Beckett might as well end with one funny how we do things. start in diapers and end in diapers ....

viperfish
10-23-2010, 02:33 PM
I have had quite a few skimmers and my personal fav is still my Aqua Medic Turboflotor 5000 Shorty. I have mine set up as a recirc outsside of the sump and it performs flawlessly. It is truly a set and forget skimmer, and the build quality is awesome.

KevinK
10-23-2010, 02:51 PM
I run a DIY skimmer on my 450 gal total water volume

guided by the aqua medict turbo fl. 5000, it is

6 feet tall,
8 inch clear pipe
uses 160W in power
and pushes 3500 L of air into it,

skimmer is runing great, a tweek here and there once in a while, more becouse I feel like it (to se if it could run even better) than that it has to, as it is running fine, and paremeters in tank are all in check

cost, far, far, far below any other skimmer for a tank this size, I think I can build 5 for the cost of one fair brand name.

when you have the space, and dont mind a DIY project, than go for it.

maintanance wise, I clean the cup each 2 to 3 days, as I like to keep it clean and viseble what is happening --- and thats it

I cant upload the pic. I want, as it only alows 600 x 400 (a wide picture) and not a standing picture of 360x 550, se my photo album under my profile for the picture, it is in there

Lance
10-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Also, again just my opinion. Before I would spend a $1000 plus on a skimmer I would go back to a beckett, with a proper pump and puts its waste collection up against anything else.

I run a dual Beckett on my larger tank and although it is certainly not cost-efficient and definitely noisy, (that's why I keep it in a closet) I love it.

fishytime
10-25-2010, 02:50 AM
Running a BK mini 180 here.......I dont know that it is worth over $1000.....after all, it is just some acrylic and a pump.....but I do know that it is by far the best built and quietest skimmer Ive even had the pleasure of owning/seeing/worked with......oh....and it has bling factor:mrgreen:

Milad
10-25-2010, 04:47 AM
I run a DIY skimmer on my 450 gal total water volume

guided by the aqua medict turbo fl. 5000, it is

6 feet tall,
8 inch clear pipe
uses 160W in power
and pushes 3500 L of air into it,

skimmer is runing great, a tweek here and there once in a while, more becouse I feel like it (to se if it could run even better) than that it has to, as it is running fine, and paremeters in tank are all in check

cost, far, far, far below any other skimmer for a tank this size, I think I can build 5 for the cost of one fair brand name.

when you have the space, and dont mind a DIY project, than go for it.

maintanance wise, I clean the cup each 2 to 3 days, as I like to keep it clean and viseble what is happening --- and thats it

I cant upload the pic. I want, as it only alows 600 x 400 (a wide picture) and not a standing picture of 360x 550, se my photo album under my profile for the picture, it is in there

where did you find the plans for that skimmer?

shrimpchips
10-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Running a BK mini 180 here...........and it has bling factor:mrgreen:

+10! Wait...why else does one sport a BK?

kien
10-25-2010, 07:15 PM
I'm rockin a Bubble Magus 220CS. My favourite skimmer so far. Easy on the wallet and easy to use. Sure it is made in China but seriously, what isn't? Just about every other piece of equipment I use is made in china, including my iPhone :)

KevinK
10-25-2010, 08:01 PM
it was build out of the spec from AM, however the famouse Sanders skimmer has about the same spec (only thy have a mazzie ventury that alows them to draw air)

http://www.aqua-medic.com/products/docs/TF_5000_bby_twn_sngl.pdf

http://www.aqua-medic.com/products/docs/TF_5000_bby_twn_sngl.pdf

what I found was that with the introduction of some more air, it foams better.

the skimmer neck I first had was 3 1/2 inch however changed it into a 5 inch and a world of diferance.

overall great skimmer, thinking of building a new one, based on the AM TF 10.000 Sander helgoland 500

not that the one is not preforming, more tho se is I can build it (winter time is coming so, would be a nice project

Bloodasp
10-25-2010, 11:24 PM
I'm rockin a Bubble Magus 220CS. My favourite skimmer so far. Easy on the wallet and easy to use. Sure it is made in China but seriously, what isn't? Just about every other piece of equipment I use is made in china, including my iPhone :)
Even things made elsewhere have parts of it made in china.