PDA

View Full Version : Kent Float Valve

christyf5
12-05-2003, 02:58 AM
Whaddy'all think of it? Is there something better out there?

Polls are fun! :mrgreen:

EmilyB
12-05-2003, 03:08 AM
You forgot to put in "what's a float valve"... :rolleyes: :razz:

Jack
12-05-2003, 03:08 AM
It's very good!

christyf5
12-05-2003, 03:10 AM
Well 100% of the people that participated in the poll said yes! Thats good enough for me :mrgreen: :rolleyes:

Delphinus
12-05-2003, 04:53 AM
Mine worked GREAT for about a year (had a 5g bucket just above the sump), but then the seal somehow started to fail and the level in the sump crept up and up and up (verrrry slowly, but faster than the rate of evaporation). So basically the valve couldn't shut off 100%. I couldn't figure out what the problem was (tried cleaning it, etc.). Eventually I broke one of the little pivot pins as I poking and prodding it trying to figure out what was wrong, and, well that was that. I ended up putting a HD/humidifier float valve on the sump while I would order the Kent from some place the next day but I kinda never did. Two things about the Kent that makes it a little nicer than the humidifier float valve are that 1) the orifice is a little larger, so you don't need to pressure your lines any to get flow through them (the humidifier float valve orifice is TINY, and clogs easily); and 2) the float itself is sealed whereas the HD float valve is open on the bottom so theoretically air might escape the float and the float becomes a ... a ... non-floating float. But that said, my HD float valve hasn't failed yet, it does require cleaning every so often, and it's about 1/3 the price.

smokinreefer
12-05-2003, 09:48 AM
been using mine with a 24/7 kalk top off for a couple years now...no problems.

christyf5
12-05-2003, 03:55 PM
Thanks guys! :biggrin:

smokinreefer
12-05-2003, 05:33 PM
btw, nice website christy. :mrgreen:

christyf5
12-05-2003, 05:34 PM
Hey thanks Shao!! :biggrin:

BCOrchidGuy
12-10-2003, 06:22 PM
I've got the Kent on one sump and the Laguna pond one on another, they both work well, the Laguna was about half the price. but it's slightly larger.

Doug

sumpfinfishe
12-11-2003, 07:35 AM
Hey Christy,
Nice updated webpage, very :cool:
Now I must see if I can setup my main tank pic like yours :mrgreen:

So, the green star on the encrusting gorgonian write up, is that what came about of the little frag that I gave you at Wendell's, I would say it's doing really well if it's the same piece because it was tiny weeny, with a few stars and a smig of gorgonian. :biggrin:

Samw
12-11-2003, 08:48 AM
Whaddy'all think of it? Is there something better out there?

Polls are fun! :mrgreen:

You mean something better for auto-top off? Tunze Osmolator?

christyf5
12-11-2003, 03:18 PM
Something better for the price Sam. Besides, I dont know what a Tunze Osmolator is but it sounds big and expensive :wink:

Thanks Rich, yes that is the same frag you gave me. Its really taken off and was smothering the yellow finger leather on the opposite side of the tank so I ripped it off there (some bits left behind are flourishing) and moved it to the other side where its growing like crazy. The GSPs are taking over though, they seem to grow faster than the gorgonian. All in all (except for the #%*& caulerpa) my tank is looking better than ever (until the next disaster anyway :wink:).

Christy :)