PDA

View Full Version : properly tune a skimmer - how to?!

Milad
10-19-2010, 06:31 AM
someone explain to me how to properly tune a skimmer. These youtube videos arent helping. Ive been told to keep the bubbles really small but when they are really small they get shot out of the skimmer and a youtube video said you dont want that. Im lost!

whatcaneyedo
10-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Restrict the air flow to get the bubble size you want. Then adjust the foam height to where you want by restricting the output. Once you get it perfect do not touch anything as its a PITA to find that sweet spot again... if for some reason your skimmer starts acting up it probably means you just fed the tank some oily food, something died, something spawned, or it just needs to be cleaned. Heres a little trick: run a decent amount of fresh water through your air intake weekly (I use a full 1 gallon bucket) to dissolve any dried on salt that forms inside. Here's what my Bullet 3 looks like. BTW what skimmer do you have?

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/whatcaneyedo/Picture155.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/whatcaneyedo/Picture149.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/whatcaneyedo/Picture150.jpg

Milad
10-19-2010, 03:18 PM
i have a euroreef 250 right now with a gate valve

reefwars
10-19-2010, 03:24 PM
tuning skimmers for me has always been a bit of a pan in the butt to find that sweet spot, i use a marker to mark where it is and i adjust it from that mark so as i have a reference point to work with.when your tuning remember it takes several minutes for your skimmer to really adjust so dont go nuts on your adjusting....my vertex is very sensitive like a quater inch turn makes a huge difference.you also need to decide if you want a wet skim or dry...i prefer dry skim but everybodys got their preference:):)

Hangfire
10-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Milad - have you watched the You-Tube videos done by LA Fish Guy when he goes to Reef Dynamics and talks to the owner? They're pretty good.

I didn't know you could adjust the bubble size in a skimmer. I thought that was set by the pin wheel, so by restricting air flow would only change the number of bubbles. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination - my Reef Dynamics is still breaking in.

viperfish
10-19-2010, 03:40 PM
I didn't know you could adjust the bubble size in a skimmer. I thought that was set by the pin wheel, so by restricting air flow would only change the number of bubbles.

It looks like Whatcanyoudo has a downdraft or Beckett style skimmer which does offer some control over bubble size. The needle or pin wheel style skimmers chop the air into bubbles without any control over the size. The Euroreef that Milan has is a needle wheel style so there is no way of choosing the bubble size, only the volume of air supplied. Ultimately the goal is to have the bubble chopped as fine as possible with as much air draw as the pump needle wheel can "chew up". I think Milan was referring to "bubble height" and not size.

globaldesigns
10-19-2010, 04:10 PM
I will leave this to the ones that can explain it best, but I will add that you need to try and make the bubbles as small as possible. I found the smaller the bubbles, the better the extract as there is more surface area for the protiens to attach to.

Milad
10-19-2010, 04:17 PM
i put a "gate valve" on the air intake of my skimmer to reduce the bubble size. Was i not suppose to do that? I got the bubbles really small doing that.

What is the bubble height suppose to be? and what is bubble height?

whatcaneyedo
10-19-2010, 04:39 PM
You shouldn't need a valve on the air intake. The bubble (foam) height is the level that the bubbles inside the skimmer rise to. If you want to skim wet adjust your output so the collection cup fills every couple of days with light colored watery skimmate. If you want to skim dry adjust the output so that the collection cup fills with very dark thick skimmate after several days. If you get a lot of buildup on the inside of the riser tube it means you could stand to have to foam height higher.

The episode 88 series is all about euro reef skimmers and how they work http://www.lafishguys.com/

Skimmerking
10-19-2010, 04:52 PM
I will leave this to the ones that can explain it best, but I will add that you need to try and make the bubbles as small as possible. I found the smaller the bubbles, the better the extract as there is more surface area for the protiens to attach to.

All you have to do is ask. lol
Milad when i spoke to you about the skimmer, yes the bubble size will make a huge difference. On pretty much any skimmer you can adjust the size. Size matter's just not in Bubbles.:biggrin:
With a skimer the ideal bubbles are the ones the 1-2 mm in size to extract nutrients the nutrients and the proteins are caught in these bubbles causign the removal. However wht makes the skimmer works the best is the contact time. in the chamber. With your skimmer having a insump skimmer there isnt a change. Once you get the ideal bubble size by restricting the air flow to the venturi or the beckett. or what ever skimmer thaty oua re running. you then are going to raise the water level to achieve the proper contact time in the skimmer.

To much Water can cause it to over flow like feeding Mysis shrimp and cyclopeeze. in a skimmer having a pump that is to powerful can cause your skimmer to overflow.

HTH

Hangfire
10-19-2010, 08:07 PM
The episode 88 series is all about euro reef skimmers and how they work http://www.lafishguys.com/

I watched all 7 episodes and learned a lot, especially on cleaning and breaking them in.

Hangfire
10-19-2010, 08:18 PM
One question that didn't get asked was what effect the water level in the sump has on the operation of the skimmer. I'm running mine at between 7 and 9 inches of water, sort of a no less and no more range. I know my skimmer is still breaking in, but it just overflows like crazy, even when opened right up. I'm running carbon in the hopes of pulling out and surfactants that may have gotten into the tank. Any other suggestions?

Doug
10-19-2010, 11:13 PM
Despite the belief that bubble size affects the skimming, unless its burping large bubbles, I have never seen it affect my skimmers. I always ran the air wide open on mine. The one that it did seem to matter was a very efficient beckett, running on a Mag 24.

Sump water level also seems to matter little, unless its to high. When lower, as long as one can raise the skimmers water level, then its easier to control wet verus dry skimming. To high of a water level sometimes hinders running a drier foam if thats what one wants.

Milad
10-19-2010, 11:20 PM
MAG 24!?!? wtf kind of skimmer was that

Lance
10-19-2010, 11:30 PM
All you have to do is ask. lol
Milad when i spoke to you about the skimmer, yes the bubble size will make a huge difference. On pretty much any skimmer you can adjust the size. Size matter's just not in Bubbles.:biggrin:
With a skimer the ideal bubbles are the ones the 1-2 mm in size to extract nutrients the nutrients and the proteins are caught in these bubbles causign the removal. However wht makes the skimmer works the best is the contact time. in the chamber. With your skimmer having a insump skimmer there isnt a change. Once you get the ideal bubble size by restricting the air flow to the venturi or the beckett. or what ever skimmer thaty oua re running. you then are going to raise the water level to achieve the proper contact time in the skimmer.

To much Water can cause it to over flow like feeding Mysis shrimp and cyclopeeze. in a skimmer having a pump that is to powerful can cause your skimmer to overflow.

HTH

Mr. Skimmer King, you sound quite knowledgeable but how much experience do you have with protein skimmers? Have you personally owned or used any? :heh:

Skimmerking
10-19-2010, 11:32 PM
Lance look below

Skimmerking
10-19-2010, 11:34 PM
Mr. Skimmer King, you sound quite knowledgeable but how much experience do you have with protein skimmers? Have you personally owned or used any? :heh:

A S S

Aquattro
10-19-2010, 11:36 PM

All my beckett skimmers ran off either a MAG 24 or MAK 4. They like lots of water :)

Lance
10-19-2010, 11:39 PM
All my beckett skimmers ran off either a MAG 24 or MAK 4. They like lots of water :)

Yup, I run an Iwaki 70RLT on my MR3

Aquattro
10-19-2010, 11:42 PM
Yup, I run an Iwaki 70RLT on my MR3

I ran either one of those, or a MD100RLT on my 4' beckett (can't recall which it was), but I couldn't hear the TV anymore :) Had to downgrade...:)

Lance
10-19-2010, 11:49 PM
I ran either one of those, or a MD100RLT on my 4' beckett (can't recall which it was), but I couldn't hear the TV anymore :) Had to downgrade...:)

Iwaki makes a good pump but they're noisy all right. That's why mine is in a closet. Can't hear a thing. :biggrin:

Doug
10-20-2010, 12:05 AM

Yep, like Brad said. It was just a 28in. tall beckett. I ran it on a Mak 4, then switched to a Mag 24. Better performance. My friend runs it still on his 180g. he is running a Panworld 200 on it.

It my opinion, many beckett users under drive their skimmers and although they are working well, skim much better when driven by a larger pump.

Of course the difference the is power consumption but there was not the selection of efficient skimmers like today available when I ran mine. Still, I have watched over most of Mikes variety of skimmers and had a multitude of my own and that beckett could out skim or at least compete with most of them. :D

That just my opinion on becketts however and not the main topic of concern here. :lol:

Most of the in sump needle/mesh wheel skimmers I have used or seen used, have both level and air adjustments on them. As I said, my preference, was to run the air wide open, unless its very violent. Set the water level for close to wet skimming but not overly wet.

Skimmerking
10-20-2010, 12:59 AM
yup you want wet skim mate and water changing to go with it , get a beckett. they will always clean your water...