PDA

View Full Version : DSB (Deep Sand Bed) in refugium - Who has one

globaldesigns
10-19-2010, 12:32 AM
Just wondering who uses a DSB in their refuge?

Please give details of depth, do you have LR on top, do you use cheato and do you light it up.

Thanks.

I have one and it has been in since the beginning. Just wondering if I should remove or leave it in.

whatcaneyedo
10-19-2010, 02:45 AM
For at least two years I had a 20gal fuge about half full of a mixture of various grades of sand and mineral mud. Over the sand I grew Caulerpa with a 10K coralife PC bulb/fixture. Then I switched to a DSB in a 5 gal bucket for a few months. Then for a year I just used a shallow Rubbermaid tub with a 5" sandbed inside my stock trough sump. A little over a year ago I removed that because I wanted the space for other things and because under the first 1" everything was black.

The whole time I used a DSB I never had a detectable reading of Nitrate on Salifert or Elos kits. Ever since I removed the last version I still have not had a detectable reading. In my opinion it never did anything for my tank except create H2S gas. Perhaps I did something wrong or perhaps I didn't let it age enough. In all honesty I don't care. I get by quite well without one so I'll never go back.

I do however run a skimmer rated for twice my system volume and I've got about 1 pound per gallon of liverock as well.

Murminator
10-19-2010, 03:56 AM
I had about a 4" deep sand bed in my display that got removed today I can vouch for the H2S gas and jet black half way through :sad: