PDA

View Full Version : Lost a fish

BCReefer
05-28-2002, 12:37 AM
Today is a sad day. I found my 5 month old firefish laying on its back behind the tank. I have a big hood that goes all the way around but I have 2” in the back to allow airflow etc. I can’t put apiece of wood in the back since I have my wire and a hang on skimmer.

I am very sad. Can anyone please over me some assistance in how I should cover the back? I know of crates and mesh but shouldn’t the mesh be plastic, not metallic? I guess Revy or HD will be my best bet.

I think he jumped since I changed the tank 2 weeks ago and his hiding place was moved.

I am going to buy some more rock and add the mesh then when the rock settles I will add another firefish. I really liked him. This is my 1st causality since 1 screwed up in the beginning going to fast. I have taken my time and read. I knew that the firefish could jump but I usually give him good hiding places and the back is half blocked.

Thanks for the help.

Delphinus
05-28-2002, 01:48 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss. I had a yellow-headed jawfish who was a crazy jumper for the first week. He methodically searched out all the spots he could get through the canopy. He even once jumped out when I opened the canopy door to feed. Jump, flop flop flop. I ended up using plastic eggcrate and plastic window screening to block all my canopy openings. I even had to cover my overflow box he found his way into there. First I used eggcrate, but he wiggled his way through the hole. So plastic window screening had to over the overflow box too (I just stitched some onto some eggcrate using fishing line).

BCReefer
05-28-2002, 10:50 AM
del - is the plastic window screen a wire mesh?

Delphinus
05-28-2002, 11:23 AM
Yes, it is the bug screen mesh with about 1mm hole size. You can get it in metal (obviously no good for our needs) or plastic. I just used a staple gun to attach the stuff, not pretty, but it held fast.

The only problem is if you have it over an opening where you have air flow, over time it will gum up with dust, kind of like a dryer filter almost.

Jack
05-29-2002, 04:07 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss too, I recently just mysteriously lost a green chromis... maybe I should check behind the tank.

This reminds me of the time I was walking around inside the LFS and a freshwater tetra just jumped out and landed on my feet, I looked around for some employees but couldn't find any, so while laughing my head of I just picked up the fish and put it in the tank and left...