PDA

View Full Version : Looking for someone to teach how to cut 1/2" glass.

ALBERTA REEF
10-18-2010, 01:39 AM
Looking for someone to teach me how to cut 1/2" glass for one of my small side projects. Hopeful someone in Calgary.

Skimmerking
10-18-2010, 02:20 AM
cut it the same way as you do 1/4" score 2-3 times, put it over a flat edge and tapp tapp and they you go. its quiet simple dude/..

randy123
10-18-2010, 02:54 AM
Last time I was at the glass shop, they told me that new glass is much easier to work with than older stuff...

bvlester
10-18-2010, 02:58 AM
Ya new glass is easier than old also the thicker the glass the easier it is I don't even tap it I just put it on the edge of a straight edge and bring mu hand down on it not to hard it should go click and presto you have cut glass.

Bill

Gary
10-18-2010, 03:15 AM
Not sure about scoring the glass two or three times. I have been working with glass for over twenty years and I was always told - Never go over your score. It will give you a bad break and wreck your glass cutter as well.

reefwars
10-18-2010, 03:32 AM
Not sure about scoring the glass two or three times. I have been working with glass for over twenty years and I was always told - Never go over your score. It will give you a bad break and wreck your glass cutter as well.

Have heard the same thing one score equals clean break if you score over the same line more than once it can be a jagged cut. The same rule applys when cutting stone:) cheers

sphelps
10-18-2010, 01:24 PM
Definitely only score glass once. It's a lot easier if you have a glass cutting table but I did hear a trick once regarding cutting thicker glass. After scoring spread some lighter fluid over the scored area of the glass and lite it. Apparently that will snap it perfectly, never tried it myself just heard it's pretty common when the proper tools aren't available.

reefwars
10-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Definitely only score glass once. It's a lot easier if you have a glass cutting table but I did hear a trick once regarding cutting thicker glass. After scoring spread some lighter fluid over the scored area of the glass and lite it. Apparently that will snap it perfectly, never tried it myself just heard it's pretty common when the proper tools aren't available.

Humm now that is cool very interesting , learn something new every day:)

DiverDude
10-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Ya new glass is easier than old also the thicker the glass the easier it is I don't even tap it I just put it on the edge of a straight edge and bring mu hand down on it not to hard it should go click and presto you have cut glass.

Bill

I would be VERY careful doing this. Be sure to wear gloves. I've heard of people doing this with the palm of their hand and as the cut piece gives away, they slit their wrist on the new, sharp edge !!!

Binare
10-19-2010, 04:39 PM
I do it on a flat surface with a 1/4 dowel under it that runs the entire length of the break. Press down and done. It don't take much to snap it and its a lot safer.

reefcanada
10-19-2010, 11:58 PM
Wow, If you like I will cut it for you. I have been in this trade for 15 years and I am not so keen on just giving my trade away. As for lighter fluid, You would want to use methyl hydrate. As it burns faster, but you only use this for laminate glass to burn off the plastic in the middle. You will need a heavy float cutter, cutting oil, cold chisel and a hammer. shoot me a pm and we can talk. Thanks

Binare
10-20-2010, 12:18 AM
I do it on a flat surface with a 1/4 dowel under it that runs the entire length of the break. Press down and done. It don't take much to snap it and its a lot safer.

Thats of course AFTER scoring it, and only scoring it once. I REALLY hope that part was too obvious to mention for everyone who read it :p

ALBERTA REEF
10-20-2010, 03:35 AM
I have tried cutting !/2" glass in the past With a crappy wheel cutter from Home Depot. Just say it did not turn out will. What is a good glass cutter and where to get one?

Binare
10-22-2010, 05:14 AM
Mine from HD works just fine, did the clean the **** outta that glass first? Wheel spin freely? Any nicks in the wheel? She's gotta be perfect.