PDA

View Full Version : Finally a family.

Doug
12-04-2003, 02:43 PM
Looks like Bob & Margret, my almost 4yr. old pair of Blue striped cinnamon clowns have decided to finally start a family. :biggrin:

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/503/8clown_eggs.jpg?1023

christyf5
12-04-2003, 05:49 PM
Thats awesome Doug! They look so happy in their little home :wink:

Doug
12-05-2003, 04:46 PM
Thanks Christy. It amazes me at how fast the adopted the pvc home. They always seem to have house guests though. Everyone likes it. The biggest difference was the removal of the sailfin from this tank. He use to think the house was his and he was the only one that could give the clowns any back talk. :lol:

In reality though, they basically call the whole 225 theirs. :biggrin:

zulu_principle
12-05-2003, 09:54 PM
Hey Doug

Nice Clutch

Thats not the female in the pic is it ?

FWIW, the blue line takes more than 9 months to come out on the juv's, i only know that cause my juvs are 9 months old and no blue line.

Wendell

Doug
12-06-2003, 01:33 PM
Hi Wendall,
In that pic, I cant be sure which was which. The other can be seen behind, with the eggs. They are now almost identical in size. Margret is only slightly larger and I need a close look to tell the difference.

Mine had blue stripes when purchased. The fish were about 1 in. long. The stripe is still blue, but only under the correct lighting.

Reading to decide if I should remove the pipe and clutch for raising or leave this batch. Of course removal is at my hands own risk. :lol: Also it would be sad, :frown: , as they seem so pleased with their family. :smile:

We were talking about it on RC and I have have bangaii young that made my slow flow overflows and are doing fine. Lots of mysid shrimp in there. But I dont believe from reading that the baby clowns will survive without rotifiers and such. Of course I would have to remove the young bangaii or they will be fat on the clown fry. :smile:

robbyville
12-06-2003, 05:26 PM
Hi Doug, Let me know how it goes.

My percs have been laying eggs every two weeks or so for the past month. I read one article about a fellow who was able to raise his fry to about 18 days with no rotifiers, just live baby brine. He was still experimenting when his lifestyle changed and was unable to figure out why the fry would not live past 18days.

I am still trying to decide if I want to try and raise any of the fry and culture rotifiers but I doubt it. Besides, there are only 2 salt water tanks in all of Whistler, what the heck would I do with any of the fish if I could raise them?

Rob

zulu_principle
12-06-2003, 08:53 PM
In my experience it depends on the particular clownfish how long they need to be feed rotifers. Percs can go to baby brine on day 5.

Culturing is so easy and if you dont use for your clownfish its excellent food for corals, copepods, and other small organisms that live in your tank.

There are lots of different rotifer replacement type diets that people have been trying.

Wendell

robbyville
12-06-2003, 10:07 PM
thanks Wendell,

Do you have a suggestion for any pre cultured rotifiers? I have looked into it and I really just don't have the space (Typical Whistler resident home :eek: )!

Rob

Doug
12-14-2003, 01:44 PM
All the eggs are gone this morning. :question:

Not sure what happened. I did notice one of the sleeper goby pair, with an extended tummy. :lol: