PDA

View Full Version : Sohals - What's everyone's experience once they mature?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-16-2010, 06:25 AM
Most of the reefers I've discussed this with say their Sohal turned into a bully when it matured. What's your personal experience with this beautiful tang?

globaldesigns
10-16-2010, 06:27 AM
Mine is quite the opposite. It was a bully, chasing and nipping when it was small/young. He is now quite peaceful. Once in awhile he may give a short chase, but that is it. My Sohal is the showpiece of my tank.

Atomikk
10-16-2010, 06:28 AM
They will always try to dominate. So no matter how they are when small, eventually they will excersize their dominance onto other fish. Some may even die.

Willito
10-16-2010, 02:28 PM
IME, this is the devil in blue stripes. It is relentlous in pursuing to be the dominant, and size don't matter. I've owned this fish at three different instances and each one proved to be no different. The more crowded a tank is the more boisterous it becomes. No fishes will be exempted from it's wrath, small or large. All of mine had a knack for small blue fishes, they wouldn't be allow to see the light of day.

daniella3d
10-16-2010, 02:47 PM
Let me say that each time I go to Raging Reef in Montreal I must be really carefull of that tang in their aquarium. Last time it attacked me and splashed me so I was all wet, all my hair and face. A really nasty fish, but beautiful. It would have sliced me if I had my hand in the water! Is there such thing as a guard fish? :biggrin:

The man who work there told me he got attacked and sliced by that fish. Supposably it's painfull and he had to go to the hospital. When it's too nasty they have to take it out in a bucket for a while as a punishment and to try to teatch it some manners. Not working much if you ask me. that fish is a real terror! scary! I am afraid of going too close to the tank he's in and while looking at the coral I must always keep an eye on that fish.

One thing for sure, no one is going to steal any coral from that tank!

Most of the reefers I've discussed this with say their Sohal turned into a bully when it matured. What's your personal experience with this beautiful tang?

dstasiuk
10-16-2010, 04:14 PM
I've had mine for a little over 2 years. got him at about 3" - now about 8". He's definitely the Alpha of the tank - doesn't constantly antagonize the other fish, but at feeding time he will get fairly agressive. The brunt of his agression is directed toward a one-spot Foxface about the same size as him. Everyone else pretty much has learned to stay out of his way. The only fish that doesn't put up with his "crap" is a Scopas tang - probably about 1/2 his size, but he tends to leave her alone.

Beautiful fish, but the bad reputation is deserved...

Milad
10-16-2010, 05:56 PM

Anthony you looking to get one? How about let me buy one, if it terrorizes my tank, ill sell him to you :) lol

Im watching JL for a good one.

globaldesigns
10-16-2010, 08:30 PM
Wow, lots of bad rap, I guess I am the lucky one.

I agree with the others, they are alpha/dominant/aggressive, but it my case he became quite peaceful. Don't get me wrong, you can tell he is the king, but he doesn't beat anyone up, the odd chase sometimes.

Very beautiful fish, so if you are going to give it a try, make sure it is the last tang you add, so get any others you wish to have before the Sohal. Also make sure you have the room (large tank), they do like to move around.

I love mine, and won't even think of getting rid of it.