PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Beckett users?

Canadian Man
12-04-2003, 04:13 AM
I am in the SLOW process of making my new beckett skimmer. The first thing I have completed is the injector. It's made with 3" acrylic and uses 3/4" pvc fittings along with Orings to hold the injector in place.

??????Here's the questions?????
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.Does you beckett housing fill with water up to the holes all the time and
fairly quickly?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The housing is filling up with water because I don't have a perfect seal between the 3/4" pvc bits and the injector. As well as the injector I have is the older round type that splits in half so it leaks at the seams on the ends.
2. Is this ok to run with these small leaks or will it effect the preformance of the skimmer?

That's about all the questions I can think of for now. If anyone has any other words of advice or wisdom please offer them up. :mrgreen:

Buccaneer
12-04-2003, 04:44 AM
Not sure if you noticed it when you were here Jon but I have a drain at the botom of the Beckett housing with a tube back to the sump for any water that gets spit out of the Beckett and the air intake for the Beckett is from the top.

Cheers

Canadian Man
12-04-2003, 05:15 AM
I was hoping you would reply Steve.
Do you have a fair bit of water comming out of you beckett? Like a couple drops ever few seconds?

I don't remember most of the details about you skimmer. Damm brain :rolleyes:

Buccaneer
12-04-2003, 05:21 AM
Depends on if I have just cleaned it or if the moon is just right or ???? ... there is no rhyme or reason Jon it drips like that sometimes and then other times it does not drip at all :confused: ... now that I installed that drain tube I dont have to worry about it at all :cool:

Cheers

EmilyB
12-04-2003, 05:29 AM
:rolleyes: from the Euro corner :razz:

Buccaneer
12-04-2003, 05:31 AM
:rolleyes: from the Euro corner :razz:

What are ya trying to say there Deb ? :razz: :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

EmilyB
12-04-2003, 05:40 AM
Ok, what I meant to say... :smile: is that you don't go through all that hassle with a Euroreef, it's plug and play.... :mrgreen:

Buccaneer
12-04-2003, 05:41 AM
I know :smile: ... just wanted to hear ya say it :lol:

Doug
12-04-2003, 01:57 PM
Jon, my becketts all filled up to the holes with water. Thats about where the level always stayed, I assume because of the air.

SuperFudge
12-04-2003, 02:55 PM
Yes,

The Housing for the becketts fills with water, this is normal as the none of the becketts are actually water tight themselves, if they were,we could probably do away completley with any housing.

It doesnt affect the skimmer at all, and will only fill to the hole in the housing everytime...it would even if you did have a perfect seal on the bottom and top of the beckett itself.

If you are building them, i recommend placing the air intake hole only slightly above the air intakes for the beckett....if it is too high in the housing, the beckett will actually pull in water aswell as air and may cut down on its effectiveness.

Canadian Man
12-04-2003, 03:38 PM
Hush up Deb :razz: :lol:

Thanks for the reply Marc :cool:
I kinda figured that the Beckett's are not all sealed perfectly. Every pic of a Beckett running I have come across on the net has water up to the holes.

Thanks folks

Oh Deb, reason for not going with euro-reef is $ (as I can build a Beckett for allot less) and once my skimmer is built it will send your poor euro-reef whimpering and cowering away :razz: :lol: