PDA

View Full Version : OVERSTOCKED??

Strickland_673
10-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Ok so I have a 25G tank with about 25lb of base rock and 5lb of LR, I have a Rena xp4 running carbon, phosban, Nitrate sponge(Kent), and LR rubble. I have a POS Seaclone skimmer (which hauls out some nice dark skimate)
and 1 power head and soon getting a Hydor Koralia Evolution either the nano or 450 model.

My question is I currently have a coral beauty, 2 oc clowns. I was wondering if it would be over stocking if i got a purple dotty back, a yellow clown goby, and maybe 2-3 chromis. (these fish will not be added all at one time)

This is going to be a reef tank with hopefully a nice amount of coral.

Overstocked? or no? should i forget the chromis?

nlreefguy
10-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Some might argue that you're overstocked already. However, the yellow clown goby will contribute negligibly to your bioload. The dottyback will probably be a behavioural issue in that small a tank and the chromis will likely die anyway, so why bother? You could probably add the clown goby but you might want to think hard about any other fish. Also upgrading your skimmer and supplementing your filtration will go along way towards helping you keep more. (maybe consider running GFO or possibly even carbon dosing)

nlreefguy
10-15-2010, 12:10 PM
oh, by the way, I noticed you're from Halifax. Any nice reef stores over there? Where do you do most of your buying - online or local? I'm from St. John's.

fishytime
10-15-2010, 12:15 PM
^^^^+1....good advice there...you never stated whether or not this is a reef but....just a heads up about the kent nitrate sponge...... it contains aluminum, and is thought to be an irritant to some corals:wink:

Strickland_673
10-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Thanks guys! I was really looking forward to the dottyback and clown goby. but thats all i can do.

It will be a reef, i have just started up a little over a month and half ago.