PDA

View Full Version : Crappy Story

Coleus
10-15-2010, 07:23 AM
Well, this is my crappy story about my stupid anemone

I have this long tentacle anemone that it about 6 inches of diameters when it open, when it closes probably around 3 inches
Yesterday, my long tentacle decided to move out of its spot and i found it stuck between two rocks. And right next to it is a a huge crab chewing on it. So i quickly tried to catch the crab but i failed, i was able to save the anemone, he lost a little chunk of tentacle, put him back to the correct spot. This morning he opened up ok. I was kind of mad myself that i did not catch the crab because it is about toonie size.

Later this evening i saw the crab in the a tunnelof a rock, the tunnel is around size of quarter in diameter. i told my self i will catch him after putting my kids to bed and then i forgot about it. At that time, I noticed my anemone is on the move again at that time. Well after the light went out, i visited my tank and saw my anemone is gone, so I checked power head, nothng ther, the cave and still nothing. Guest what, he is in the tunnel that the crab is in.

I was like oh @#$@$#, the crab must pulled the anemone in for food but it is unreal that the anemone will fit that tunnel. Anyway, I took the rock out and tried to get the crab out, it is hard to get him out so i poked him to death and remove piece by piece, I also took the camera and snap snap his remain to show you guys how big he is. Then i put the rock back and hope my anemone will be ok tomorrow. Not sure how much flesh he lost.

Then i wanted to upload the picture and guess what my camera did not have memory card in it and the crab remain already got flush away.

Have you ever seen a crab eating anemone? i thought it should be other way around. I hope the anemone ok. Sad

Delphinus
10-15-2010, 07:26 AM
Anemones can be surprisingly resilient at times, particularly once established. It will probably heal up. Good luck!

kien
10-15-2010, 07:33 AM
Sorry to hear! It could have been worse, like your tank could have exploded!

For future reference, what I find works well is if I see a crab enter a cave I plug it up with epoxy :twised:

purelife
10-15-2010, 08:45 AM
Catch the CRAB!!

I caught 3 a few weeks ago and 1 really big one that was eating all my stuff and knocking it all over every night.

i got a snail shell that he ate the snail out of stuffed shrimp in it tilted the glass against the rock and the next morning the big bugger was in the cup. Almost to big to fit in the cup but i got him the first try.

reefwars
10-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Alot of crabs we don't want are cunning scavengers, they will eat anything it can get including craps nem's and fish and inverts. Nem's can shrink down to a pretty good sized when attacked and fit in most any holes:) glad you killed him......KILL ALL CRABS!!!! :)

Coleus
10-15-2010, 03:29 PM
yeah lesson learned, hairy or not kill on sight. Anyway, this morning the anemone fell out of the whole and open up again. A little damage on the side but i think it will make it.

This is my second big crab that i killed. The first one i caught when moving the rock, he killed lots of my snails.