PDA

View Full Version : Stale water

BlueTang<3
10-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Well i have about 45 gallons of premixed saltwater sitting in my tub for about a week and the powerhead crapped out on it so sat stagnant. I turned the recirculation pump on and the water smells funny for a few seconds the smell has now cleared should i use it or throw it out.

reefwars
10-14-2010, 11:30 PM
Have wondered the same thing once, maybe you could dilute it with a fresh batch ?? I'm gonna follow along and see what others come up with:)

Ps. Thus weekend for the unicorn tang???

Myka
10-15-2010, 12:52 AM
Should be fine, I've used water like that numerous times. As long as you reheat it, and mix it up real well (to infuse with oxygen once more) in the process it should be fine.

BlueTang<3
10-15-2010, 01:08 AM
Its always got heat i got a 3000 gph pump mixing the crap out of it ill leave it fun for a few days and add new fresh water as well.

randy123
10-15-2010, 05:07 AM
All I do for mixing salt water is stir it up in a big garbage can with a canoe paddle...I find that it must be warm when mixed (otherwise salt doesnt dissolve as good)...after that I don't use a heater or powerheads. One good stir with the paddle and in it goes...no problems... yet:shocked:

Keri
10-15-2010, 05:43 AM
All I do for mixing salt water is stir it up in a big garbage can with a canoe paddle...I find that it must be warm when mixed (otherwise salt doesnt dissolve as good)...after that I don't use a heater or powerheads. One good stir with the paddle and in it goes...no problems... yet:shocked:

NOT good advice :)

I have "re-aeriated" water that has sat for a week with no issues, but I let it circulate another 24 hours or so

reefwars
10-15-2010, 05:51 AM

Very not good advice.... You'll run into problems soon enough salt needs to dissolve completely or it can harm fish pretty bad after all it's what they breathe, I mix my batch of change water a week in advance and it stays moving and at tank temp for that whole time. I also dose any calcium that needs to be dosed then too.

randy123
10-15-2010, 06:00 AM
Oh, I should clarify...it is mixed 24 hours in advance...and house temp and tank temp are so close to the same that and temperature change in the tank is negligable...

randy123
10-15-2010, 06:00 AM
Oh and by the way...you havn'e seen salt dissolve until youve mixed it with a canoe paddle...dead serious.

lastlight
10-15-2010, 07:18 AM
If you stir it and then just let it sit that seems risky to me but picturing you stirring a barrel of saltwater with an oar made me laugh!

randy123
10-15-2010, 07:31 AM
Oh man, you have to try it! 1 minute of stirring and there will not be one single undisolved grain of salt. Wait a day for the water to go crystal clear, check for any undisolved salt(there won't be), and you are golden. I give it another good thrashing before I add it to aerate it. My Oar can aerate the water fully in a minute flat-no mucking around, no power consumption. If there is something in that method that doesn't work, I've yet to find it...

reefwars
10-15-2010, 01:54 PM
Oh man, you have to try it! 1 minute of stirring and there will not be one single undisolved grain of salt. Wait a day for the water to go crystal clear, check for any undisolved salt(there won't be), and you are golden. I give it another good thrashing before I add it to aerate it. My Oar can aerate the water fully in a minute flat-no mucking around, no power consumption. If there is something in that method that doesn't work, I've yet to find it...

Hummmmm..... Not gonna lie it's the dumbest idea I've ever heard so I can only assume your joking right??? with all the money we pit into our tanks why would I or anyone stir once with a canoe paddle??? A cheap pump can be bought second hand for a mere few bucks and pennys a month in bills:)

gobytron
10-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Hummmmm..... Not gonna lie it's the dumbest idea I've ever heard so I can only assume your joking right??? with all the money we pit into our tanks why would I or anyone stir once with a canoe paddle??? A cheap pump can be bought second hand for a mere few bucks and pennys a month in bills:)

THAT'S the dumbest idea YOU'VE ever heard?
I have a hard time buying that, I'm not gonna lie.

I don't get why anyone would care how someone else chooses to mix their water...

I think that's hilarious and I can imagine it would work pretty good as the water displacement would be significant.

If it were me, I might add an airstone to the mix while it was sitting for that 24 hours though,as I like to make sure any new SW is as oxygen rich as possible.

reefwars
10-15-2010, 02:34 PM
THAT'S the dumbest idea YOU'VE ever heard?
I have a hard time buying that, I'm not gonna lie.

I don't get why anyone would care how someone else chooses to mix their water...

I think that's hilarious and I can imagine it would work pretty good as the water displacement would be significant.

If it were me, I might add an airstone to the mix while it was sitting for that 24 hours though,as I like to make sure any new SW is as oxygen rich as possible.

First of all I couldn't care less if he stirs it with a fork and as far a dumb ideas this lecture coming from the guy who wanted to get a blue ringed octopuss .....so yeah ummm I think I'll stick with my powerhead. And hey gobytron uf your such a fan of hand stirring with boating equipment start a thread asking how many others do that and how many use pumps. We should just all start using garage items to stir I mean I got some copper piping, some mud mixers slightly used, and all kinds of rotting wood.........geesh some people , but leave it to you to agree eh:)

randy123
10-15-2010, 06:06 PM
I wanted to get a blue ringed octopus? Please elaborate...do I post in my sleep, because I have no such memory...

randy123
10-15-2010, 06:09 PM
You're the dumbest idea I've ever heard:razz:

And what do you think a pump can do that a paddle can't? Besides use electricity? Don't be so simple-minded.

randy123
10-15-2010, 06:11 PM

Not a bad idea...

reefwars
10-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Way to confirm how dumb you really if you never noticed or can't read the quote wasn't from you, and to my knowlege I didn't hear you say you run your oar for 24hrs a day , oh wait you don't you give it one quick thrash as you put it. I just read all your posts and your obviously new so I'll cut you a break by saying I didn't say your dumb I said the idea is dumb because it Is no one in their right mind unless raised to be a complete idiot would do that in a regular basis ....now this time I called you an idiot :) cheers loser !!!

Newbies
10-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Well if I learned nothing esle from this thread at the very least I learned what the sound of my own laughter sounds like once again. Thanks ya'all as my Friday was starting to look very bleak and depressing. Hope everyone has an awsome weekend no matter YOUR STIRRING method HEHEHEHEHEHE
________
buy grinder (http://www.vaporshop.com/grinders)

reefwars
10-15-2010, 06:43 PM
Well if I learned nothing esle from this thread at the very least I learned what the sound of my own laughter sounds like once again. Thanks ya'all as my Friday was starting to look very bleak and depressing. Hope everyone has an awsome weekend no matter YOUR STIRRING method HEHEHEHEHEHE

Hahah TGIF :)