PDA

View Full Version : DIY sump baffles

meenamjah
10-14-2010, 10:52 PM
I'm trying to make a sump... found a tank, and now I need to put in baffles.

What would be the best way to make baffles?

should I use acrylic or glass sheets?

also, where would be the best place to get these in Calgary?

hillegom
10-14-2010, 10:56 PM
If the tank is glass, then cut glass baffles and silicone them in

Bloodasp
10-14-2010, 11:00 PM
If you can use glass go for it. Acrylic tends to bow if there's more pressure in one side compared to the other especially if it's too thin, and it tends to expand so cut it slightly smaller than the inner width of your tank. Glass does the same thing too but not as much as acrylic does.

The Grizz
10-15-2010, 12:55 AM
I used 1/4" acrylic for the sump on my 67 gal FOWLR. I used some clear PVC cleaner / primer to rough up the edges so that the silicone had a textured surface to bond to. Depending on how wide the sump is the 1/4" acrylic will not bow.

meenamjah
10-15-2010, 02:31 AM
it's 18" wide...

I guess I'll go with acrylic... kinda lost on where to buy and how to cut it though... does anyone have any experience working with it?

The Grizz
10-15-2010, 02:40 AM
Look up GEPolymerShapes now called Sabic, they are about a block north of Pieces. Best thing to do is get them to cut it to size for you, they often have short ends and will cut them out of that.

Binare
10-15-2010, 02:46 AM
Just hit home depot, its the easy way. They sell acrylic in project panels, any size you want. Buy the score and snap tool found right beside it, then hit the silicone aisle. I thank HD for all my sump supplies ;) cheap and easy.

kien
10-15-2010, 02:55 AM
I made mine from acrylic that I got from home depot. Make sure you get an acrylic scoring tool, also from home depot. Oh and it will make your life easier if you have a straight edge of some sort.

my sump (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=436148&postcount=16)

kien
10-15-2010, 02:58 AM
Just noticed that you're in Calgary. You can borrow my scoring tool if you want. Will save you some money as you'll likely never use that tool again after your baffles are cut :). Mind as well borrow my 'T' square while your at it.