PDA

View Full Version : Question re: orange bubble tip anenome

newreefer_59
10-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Bought a very nice bubble tip anenome (pinkish in colour with orange tips) a few months ago that was small (I thought) as it easily would fit in my hand. I feed it a piece of raw shrimp weekly and seems to be very healthy and is hosting the one True Percula Clownfish I have. My question is on some days it grows very large (about a foot tall and 8" or so across) and seems to be hazardous to the health of any nearby SPS/LPS coral. It does appear firmly anchored on some live rock. Is this as large as these will get or do I have to re-arrange and aquascape my 150 gallon tank to further accomodate?

Tank is 5" X 2' X 2'.

Myka
10-14-2010, 09:20 PM
I have seen them in the 18" range. I would suggest you start moving stuff around to accomodate. Some will split themselves, others won't. It is handy to have a splitter because a) they stay smaller obviously lol b) you can make some coin off the splits! Some people have had success forcing a split by partially or even fully cutting the anemone in half. I have been interested to try this myself, but am hesitant as I am not sure if anemones feel pain. If they do, then there is no way I would want to subject a critter to that torture!

I would love to see a pic, the orange ones are reeeeeeally nice!

reefwars
10-14-2010, 09:39 PM
If it's a new addition to your tank chances are it's got some moving to do and what it finds favorable now may not be what it finds favorable a year or two down the road and could up and move anytime. Keeping your water at best at all times and good light's will help keep it in one spot. Always keep a good distance around them for growth and the corals that do get placed close should be ones that are removableor cut easily:) beautiful creatures :):)

Atomikk
10-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Wait until it starts to split and gives you baby anemones.