PDA

View Full Version : Would this be enough light?

tony_3a
10-14-2010, 05:58 AM
http://www.fishneedit.com/250w-metal-halide-pendant-lig.html, Im thinking ordering 2 of these for a 6 foot 24 inch deep tank? Or would you guys recommend getting 3 of these? Also do any of you own these fixtures how is the quality of them, it seems like such a good price? I would like to be able to keep every type of coral as well.

Thanks a lot
Tony

Aquattro
10-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Typically you'd use 3 of these on a 6' tank, each light will cover a 2' square area. But yes, that should be enough light for most anything.

sphelps
10-14-2010, 02:19 PM
With only MH you'll likely want a higher K bulb so I'd go with three for sure. Using two will also not light the whole tank and create two distinct lighting patterns which some people prefer but it can limit you in coral placement.

You can always start with two and go from there but personally I would get at least 3.

Aquattro
10-14-2010, 04:02 PM
With only MH you'll likely want a higher K bulb

Ya, sorry, missed that. 6700k will be really yellow, so go at least 10k and ideally supplement with actinic to get a bluer tone and make the colors pop a little more..

tony_3a
10-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Thanks, i would go with 14k probably, it would not let me change it in the link.

Also i might get 2 of those 48 inch 2 bulb blue, and put them on either side of the mh so i would have 4 blue, and 2 of the 250w mh. From what ive seen they can link together to make one unit. And looks pretty good as well.

sphelps
10-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Realistically you should examine other options. For the money you build a canopy with a retrofit kit and use better quality parts. For example the bulbs included in the link won't be much good compared to what most people use and the reflectors will also be relatively poor. Since you're basically pushing the limits with what you can do with dual 250W halides I would suggest going with larger more efficient reflectors and better bulbs. Also using HQI ballasts will give you more light by providing more power. They will also make your bulbs last longer by maintaining par by sacrificing efficiency.

Consider pricing out a set of Lumen Max 3 reflectors and HQI ballasts. Don't consider bulb cost in the comparison since the price varies drastically depending on brand. To save some coin you could look for used ballasts which should be pretty easy to find.