PDA

View Full Version : JBJ 28g Nano Skimmer

Sean
10-12-2010, 11:58 PM
Anyone have any luck shoving a new skimmer in one of these JBJ's.

I was looking at

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/tz-ps9002/Tunze+Nano+DOC+Protein+Skimmer+-+9002.html

but dunno if it will fit. Also if anyone knows of one that might be better im up for suggestions.

The one that came with it broke and I haven't bother to replace it in awhile. :)

Kryptic4L
10-14-2010, 01:07 AM
yep it will only fit in the middle chamber, and if it has the magnet holder you will have to chop that off. you will be left with 0.000 inches of play as it is a tight squeeze.

Sean
10-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Hmm kind of need the middle chamber for the filter box ;)

Binare
10-15-2010, 02:51 AM
Why bother? I've really found skimmers small enough to fit tanks like this pretty well useless. I'm sure ill get flamed by someone but I'm speaking from experience. Save your coin for something more useful.

globaldesigns
10-15-2010, 02:59 AM
I had the JBJ 28G, and had a different skimmer for it.

If you use that skimmer, I doubt that you will be able to open the lid. I bought the coralife. I had an older version of this:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/ps-c3000/Coralife+Super+Protein+Skimmer+%28Needle+wheel%29+-+up+to+65+Gallon.html

Basically I removed the old filter box and placed the pump, which was a MJ1200 in there and then the skimmer just hung on the back. It fit nice, and the lid opened/closed without issue. The skimmer did sit higher than the lid, but oh well, and the skimmer actually worked very well.

I even took it a step further and placed some live rock rubble in that same area on the back just so there was more live rock overall.

wontonjohnny
02-14-2011, 03:11 AM
Im using a remora skimmer. Fits easily and works great

bob the nano
03-15-2011, 02:28 AM
I use the hydor slimskim nano but it doesn't fit in the back so I placed it in the display and I put a orange monti cap in front to hide it! In a couple months I won't even able to see the skimmer anymore. btw the skimmer works awesome it pulls some of the darkest most smelly skimmate i've ever seen in a nano skimmer. I love it!

Money pit
03-15-2011, 03:01 AM
With a small tank, unless you want SPS, why not just go with big water changes once a week.
I kept a 30g skimmer less tank for about 5yrs. I would change about 50 % a week. I don't think you would have to change that much unless you have a lot of LPS that you feed often. There are some great skimmer less tanks out there. Just be sure the temp, PH etc. match your tank.

Northernseacorals
03-15-2011, 11:50 AM
With a small tank, unless you want SPS, why not just go with big water changes once a week.
I kept a 30g skimmer less tank for about 5yrs. I would change about 50 % a week. I don't think you would have to change that much unless you have a lot of LPS that you feed often. There are some great skimmer less tanks out there. Just be sure the temp, PH etc. match your tank.

It's cheaper to purchase a skimmer than to replace the salt water constantly with such large water changes.

makana
03-15-2011, 11:45 PM
I have the eshopps psk-75h on mine. It works great. It is rated for 75g so it can easily handle the jbj28.

jd949
03-19-2011, 12:04 AM
I have the eshopps psk-75h on mine. It works great. It is rated for 75g so it can easily handle the jbj28.

any chance you have a pic of your set up? I have the same tank and running a chiller as well. Just curious where you mounted your skimmer.

makana
03-19-2011, 02:09 AM
I'll try and get a pic this weekend. I had it dialed in really nice pulling in the darkest scum I have had yet. Then I treated for cyano and I am trying to get the skimmer to break back in now after being off.

makana
03-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Here are the photos. As you can see I have the intake and return lines on either side of the tank drain and filter chamber. The overflow line on the skimmer I have going into the tank in case something bad happens. Its still pulling out red from the cyano and it is a little on the wet side still. Turns out the trouble I was having was because the air inlet was partially blocked. I have had a couple times were it wants to overflow when you turn it back on and it was the blocked airway. Other than that its great. I did have to pull that tank out 4 or 5 inches from the wall.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv11/makana_llane/skimm3.jpg
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv11/makana_llane/skimm2.jpg
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv11/makana_llane/skimm1.jpg

jd949
03-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the photos. Nice little set up. Does the canopy hit the inlet and outlet plumbing when it opens?

makana
03-23-2011, 01:46 AM
ya the canopy hits the plumbing. Its not a big deal for me because I have a shelf next to the tank. I would have liked to have been able to open the lid but I didn't really think anything that would fit in the back and allow the lid to open would really be much good. I battled constant high nitrates until I finally broke down and bought the skimmer. Within two weeks they were at zero.

Aleks
04-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Im using a remora skimmer. Fits easily and works great

a HOB remora? I'm considering trying my aquaC on the back, depending on how the stock skimmer performs...

AHHope
04-12-2011, 11:58 PM

i was just about to mention the psk-100h i had sitting around and decided to hook up on my cube

next question anyone ever try to hook up an eshopps overflow on one of these