PDA

View Full Version : Nothing worse

reefwars
10-12-2010, 11:55 PM
Nothing worse than seeing a 12-14" mustard sturgeon in a 100g(being generous here) at one of our lfs in the city, poor guy us swimming in circles and hitting the wall , very unhealthy looking , then in another tank similar size what looks like a huge king angel only for Its list all colour so it's hard to tell and he's surface bound struggleing for oxygen.....

Really upsetting!!!!

mark
10-13-2010, 01:28 AM
Not up on the mustard sturgeon are they an endemic species? If so the Fish and Wildlife people might have concerns with it being in a display

(thinking about the news story the other day were people were collection rattlesnakes for selling)

outacontrol
10-13-2010, 02:40 AM
AG?

reefwars
10-13-2010, 02:46 AM
B a's of course , thus fish needs a 300g tank it's huge honestly the biggest tang I've ever seen , and it should never have been shipped IMO not at the size it is I'd say it's the size of a basketball and it's a shame cause no ones gonna buy a fish that big and expensive when it looks so unhealthy all because of stress.....

BlueTang<3
10-13-2010, 02:50 AM
I heard the fish in question was brought in from a clients tank. So it was not shipped but either way it is just not right to do so. But again in comparison to where the stuff came from its cruel what all of us are doing to these creatures.

reefwars
10-13-2010, 02:51 AM
Not up on the mustard sturgeon are they an endemic species? If so the Fish and Wildlife people might have concerns with it being in a display

(thinking about the news story the other day were people were collection rattlesnakes for selling)

Not sure either mark, I've seen this tang before but not that big and this store is notorious for bringing in fish if shouldn't and letting them rot, it's swimming in circles freaking out because it can't turn around. This company needs to learn sooner than later that there's a fine line between sellable and morally wrong:)

reefwars
10-13-2010, 02:55 AM
I heard the fish in question was brought in from a clients tank. So it was not shipped but either way it is just not right to do so. But again in comparison to where the stuff came from its cruel what all of us are doing to these creatures.

Glad to hear it wasn't shipped in at that size, but ba's shouldn't display such a big fish in such a small tank even if it is rescued..... Oh and this fish is for sale to the public it had a pricetag I think like $400

mark
10-13-2010, 03:25 AM
Not sure either mark, I've seen this tang before but not that big and this store is notorious for bringing in fish if shouldn't and letting them rot, it's swimming in circles freaking out because it can't turn around. This company needs to learn sooner than later that there's a fine line between sellable and morally wrong:)

okay a Tang (Surgeon) not a Sturgeon, that wasn't pulled from the North Sask Rvr. Fish and Wildlife won't care but agreed small tank, hope it goes to a good home soon.

reefwars
10-13-2010, 03:29 AM
okay a Tang (Surgeon) not a Sturgeon, that wasn't pulled from the North Sask Rvr. Fish and Wildlife won't care but agreed small tank, hope it goes to a good home soon.

haha sorry I'm all thums on the ol I phone :)

naesco
10-13-2010, 06:10 AM
Have we let this lfs know that it has a responsibility for the animals they are keeping?
If so are they telling us to take a hike.
Maybe it is time to call in the SPCA. Than they may take notice.

Aquattro
10-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Maybe it is time to call in the SPCA. Than they may take notice.

Wayne, the SPCA only deals with animals, and fish are not animals (I've had this argument with them before) :(