PDA

View Full Version : Issues with Koralia 2

DiverDude
10-12-2010, 07:38 PM
So I removed 2 of my Koralia 2's this morning to clean them. One of them now makes a rattling sound -as though the impeller ceramic is hitting the sides of the motor housing.

I've disassembled and re-assembled, checked and re-checkd it about 6 times now and it keeps doing it. I thought that since the unit is pointed steeply down, there might be air trapped around the impeller (and there was) but removing that changed nothing.

I've got it unplugged for now since I'm not at home and I don't want to leave it unattended.

This unit is about 8 months old.

Thoughts ?

TheMikey
10-12-2010, 08:47 PM
If it's similar to a Koralia 1, the metal rod has to fit into a small slot in the cap. if its not inserted properly, the power from the motor could be turning it (slightly) or causing issue. I can post pictures of what I mean when I get home.

globaldesigns
10-12-2010, 09:38 PM
If it's similar to a Koralia 1, the metal rod has to fit into a small slot in the cap. if its not inserted properly, the power from the motor could be turning it (slightly) or causing issue. I can post pictures of what I mean when I get home.

+1, that could be the problem. Also make sure that the top cap (where the rod of the impellor goes into) is on properly and aligned.

DiverDude
10-12-2010, 10:22 PM
The metal rod is part of the cap. I've pulled it apart 6 times figuring I didn't have it on right but it is -hence the confusion.

Bloodasp
10-12-2010, 11:14 PM
When mine made some noises I found a washer was actually missing, probably fell off when I was washing it. can't find the diagrams for them anymore.

DiverDude
10-13-2010, 04:22 AM
No washers in these.

I plugged it in and it's been running about 20 mins now. I'm hoping it'll settle down after a bit.

lobsterboy
10-13-2010, 05:47 AM
i am not sure of your problem, but while its running under water, try sticking a tooth pick or what ever will fit by the impeller and give it a flick, turn, it might start up. It worked for me in the past.

FitoPharmer
10-13-2010, 06:21 PM
My koralia has a small grey plastic washer that fits onto to bottom of the magnet. I almost lost it once.

ColinD
10-13-2010, 07:23 PM
MY K2 does the exact same thing, I think its the shaft moving up and down in the housing, the comments about the washer have me thinking that may just be the problem as there does seem to be a couple mm's play in the impeller.

Colin

globaldesigns
10-13-2010, 08:12 PM
MY K2 does the exact same thing, I think its the shaft moving up and down in the housing, the comments about the washer have me thinking that may just be the problem as there does seem to be a couple mm's play in the impeller.

Colin

I took a peak and a couple of my smaller Koralias, have a black washer at the base of the impeller magnet. This isn't smooth, but fits on the bottom contours of the impeller magnet itself.

Could this be causing your problem, if it is missing?

gobytron
10-14-2010, 02:15 PM
are you running it on a timer or wave maker?

DiverDude
10-15-2010, 03:03 AM
The impeller is turning. I've never seen a washer of any sort in this unit. The impeller has a sort of gear in it's bas and a similar toothed thing in the bottom of the housing but it doesn't seem to spin.

No wavemaker.

I've pulled it out. I think it's kaput. It's not very old so I'm less than thrilled about that.

globaldesigns
10-15-2010, 03:12 AM
The impeller is turning. I've never seen a washer of any sort in this unit. The impeller has a sort of gear in it's bas and a similar toothed thing in the bottom of the housing but it doesn't seem to spin.

No wavemaker.

I've pulled it out. I think it's kaput. It's not very old so I'm less than thrilled about that.

If it is less than a year old, call the LFS or JL if that is where you got it. You should get another/replacement.

DiverDude
10-24-2010, 01:14 AM
Update on this...

I pulled the other Koralia out and looked closely in the bottom and there actually *is* a washer of sorts in the bottom. It must have come out when I was cleaning it in the sink.

So...mystery solved but now getting this little $0.10 washer looks like it's going to be tough. I emailed Hydor -fingers crossed they can supply the part.

Anyone else have this problem ? If so, where did you get a replacement part ?

Bloodasp
10-24-2010, 01:23 AM
It will take a bit and probably a couple of emails but they do send it for free.

DiverDude
10-24-2010, 01:41 AM
Hey, I'd happily pay for the part but none of the dealers seem to have any parts. :sad: