PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Red Algae

Dorkel Marine 1
12-03-2003, 08:22 PM
Hello everyone. Well I have this not too serious problem but a problem none the less. I have this bloom of Red Algae that situates itself in front of my tank all around my open brain. Now the weird thing is that during the night it dissipates or fades away. First thing in the morning its almost all gone. So in a way it cycles. Its at its worst in midday. After the lights have been on for awhile.

Last nite I read a post about how open brain exude a slime and lots of zoo.... algae. (didn't want to look up the spelling) So maybe just speculating, at night the coral is not as active, the bacteria and night creatures get it under control and then during the day the coral gets active and the algae start feeding on the slime. I'm just quessing. I would like to get rid of it of course but its not spreading any further.

I have two PH's one in each corner. This is a 29gal. tall tank. I have a prizm skimmer on the back and it is producing good skimmate. OH. the PH's are a Hagen 301 and a maxijet600. plus the skimmer. So I'm thinking the circulation is ok.

Could there be to much circulation. Do brains excrete more gunk when they feel stressed by to much flow. The only sites I have about brains tell me they like med flow and med light. The brain is looking great. It expands nicely eats shrimp well. Has adjusted nicely since I bought him or her about 4 months ago.

In the next two days I'm going too do my monthly waterchange and see if that changes anything. I'm assuming the parameters of the water are ok. But I will be checking them when I do the water change. Everything else in the tank is alright. Except for the area I was discussing, the sand in the rest of the tank is fine. No algae of any sort. The tank right beside this tank a 29gal long, has no red algae at all.

If anyone has any ideas let me know.

Thanx in advance George

Samw
12-03-2003, 10:39 PM
George, its cyanobacteria and its photosynthetic which is why it grows in the day and shrinks at night.

http://netclub.athiel.com/cyano/cyanos2.htm
http://www.netpets.org/fish/reference/reefref/cyanobacteria.html