PDA

View Full Version : The things we do for our fishy friends thread.

Lance
10-11-2010, 04:27 PM
As fish keepers some of us go above and beyond the call of duty to keep our fishes happy and healthy. Let's hear what kinds of odd tasks we take on to keep 'em happy.

I'll start: My Yellow Watchman Goby is so timid he'll only peek his nose out of his barnacle hole and at feeding time won't venture more than a few inches away; consequently he gets very little food. I have to feed him via a plastic tube held at the opening of his hole. I put some small mysis, flakes and pellets in the tube and wait until they sink down to him. The pellets sink fast, but I have to stand there forever waiting for the rest to sink. I'm also in the process of growing out hair algae in the sump in order to feed my Lawnmower Blenny.

reefwars
10-11-2010, 04:31 PM
well im pretty sure my snowflake eel eats better than i do everything from clams to shrimp and crab plus whatever live food i can get him , ive had to make tunnels under all my rock with pvc so i think hes happy plus im building him a new tank in which i gave up 4 other tanks to do:):)

marie
10-11-2010, 04:31 PM
I'm buying a 375g tank for Doofus and it will mean some renovations in the family room to fit it in.....I suspect I will end up having to work forever :lol:

reefwars
10-11-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm buying a 375g tank for Doofus and it will mean some renovations in the family room to fit it in.....I suspect I will end up having to work forever :lol:

whats doofus lol????

Chaloupa
10-11-2010, 04:44 PM
whats doofus lol????

WHAT'S DOOFUS??????? Oh my, only the largest, fattest and healthiest Achilles Tang you will ever see! He's stunning!

reefwars
10-11-2010, 04:46 PM
sweet!!!:)

Chaloupa
10-11-2010, 04:46 PM
I bought a 300g 10 foot long tank so my Achilles Tang is happy. The tank will reside at our store, rather than home as I wasn't allowed to do the reno's that would've been necessary!

We also hire housesitters to stay in the house when we go away so the fish are taken care of.

Lance
10-11-2010, 04:48 PM

Extending you retirement date so a fish can have more swimming room? Yeah, I guess that meets the requirement. :mrgreen:

marie
10-11-2010, 04:50 PM
whats doofus lol????

This is a Doofus
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/june1308.jpg

Skimmerking
10-11-2010, 04:51 PM
OMG Doofus is like Canreef's Mascot:mrgreen:

Mrfish55
10-11-2010, 04:51 PM
We also hire housesitters to stay in the house when we go away

What is this "go away" you speak of, apart from going to work to pay for this retardedly expensive obsession I never leave my home, I am either sitting in my fish room or surfing the reef forums.

Skimmerking
10-11-2010, 04:52 PM
you big Fatty MR DOOFUS

Chaloupa
10-11-2010, 04:55 PM
What is this "go away" you speak of, apart from going to work to pay for this retardedly expensive obsession I never leave my home, I am either sitting in my fish room or surfing the reef forums.

You got me there...I should say in my past life, when we could take holidays....as I don't think many will come our way again! LOL

(and ... I go to work to sell these things to pay for my ridiculously expensive hobby! And, I get wholesale LOL)

Lance
10-11-2010, 05:02 PM
OMG Doofus is like Canreef's Mascot:mrgreen:

He could play the "before" fat guy in a Subway commercial.

PoonTang
10-11-2010, 05:05 PM
In order to buy fish food and hardware I've stopped feeding and clothing my children. :twised:

lastlight
10-11-2010, 05:08 PM
I have to take my wife to disneyland as a prerequisite to my future upgrade. She goes more than a little crazy there. I'm scared and it's not until next year.

Rbacchiega
10-11-2010, 05:18 PM
I bought a pool for my sharks when I had them. And inline propane heaters...and and and....

Currently my "low budget, half arsed tank" is quickly becoming an expensive little bugger.

fishoholic
10-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Out of a big frozen pack of silversides I dig out the frozen head part (literally chisel it out from the pack with a knife) in order to feed my fu man chu lionfish, because he will only eat the heads not the tail part :neutral: Oh and half the time he spits it back out after I finally get the food to him! :twised:

Also took on a second job so I would be able to afford to keep my fish, however it's at Red Coral so.......pretty sure I'll never see a paycheck :lol: but at least I'll be able to keep my addiction alive :mrgreen:

PoonTang
10-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Out of a big frozen pack of silversides I dig out the frozen head part (literally chisel it out from the pack with a knife) in order to feed my fu man chu lionfish, because he will only eat the heads not the tail part :neutral: Oh and half the time he spits it back out after I finally get the food to him! :twised:

Also took on a second job so I would be able to afford to keep my fish, however it's at Red Coral so.......pretty sure I'll never see a paycheck :lol: but at least I'll be able to keep my addiction alive :mrgreen:

HAHA thats funny because I also took on a second job too. But I am helping a buddy build big solid cedar fence panels. He pays me by the panel and I put 100% of the money into the fish tank. All of the money from my Nori feeders goes back into the fish too. Wife doesnt seem to mind me buying stuff so much when it is not HER money.

Lance
10-11-2010, 06:15 PM
In order to buy fish food and hardware I've stopped feeding and clothing my children. :twised:

I'm not sure that qualifies Darren. Your children can beg and steal on the streets for food and mug other kids for their clothing. All the third-world country's children do it.

PoonTang
10-11-2010, 06:18 PM
It only counts tho if their parents have a reef tank. I have 3 new fish coming tomorrow so the kids are going to have to survive without turkey dinner.

lastlight
10-11-2010, 06:57 PM
It only counts tho if their parents have a reef tank. I have 3 new fish coming tomorrow so the kids are going to have to survive without turkey dinner.

As a guy who just ate a delicious plate of leftovers from yesterday's Turkey dinner I gotta say you're crossing a line that CANNOT be crossed!