PDA

View Full Version : DIY Steel Stand Construction Structural questions

jgoldsney
12-03-2003, 04:42 PM
Well I am slowly getting around to setting up my new tank, I purchased it used from a friend and it came with quite a nice oak stand and canopy.

The problem is that the Oak doesn't really go with the house and I find that the stand is a little tall which will make working in a 30" deep tank a real pain.

I decided that I would like to weld my own stand out of steel, I was thinking of 1" or 1 1/4" Heavy Wall square Tube.

Now for the question

I would like to if possible have no vertical supports on the front access to the stand. I will be attaching wood panels with magnets and I would like to have unrestricted access if possible one I remove the panel. (Thanks Dez for the idea of the magnets)

What I am wondering is if I made a beam of sorts for the tube that runs accross the top on the front that would be made out of 2 lengths of square tube with some vertical supports (hpefully the ASCII dwg below clarifys)

--------------------
Top Tube
--------------------
||| |||
||| ||| <-support tubes (about 6" space between)
----------------------
Bottom Tube
---------------------

What I am wondering is if this is feasable or if I am just asking for trouble

Joel

---------------------------------------------------
Top Tube
-----------------------------------------------
|*|<-Corner Post |*|<-Sup Tube|*|<-Sup Tube
|*|----------------------------------------------------
|*|Bottom Tube of beam
|*|--------------------------------------------------
|*|
|*|
|*|--- Clear access to inside of stand here---
|*|
|*|
|*|----------------------------------------------------
|*|Bottom Tube of stand
|*|--------------------------------------------------

MitchM
12-03-2003, 05:11 PM
What size tank?

Mitch

sleeman
12-03-2003, 05:21 PM
Joel,
I just did this about a month ago for a 75gal. I used 1.5 inch square tube .100 wall. For this size tank i have a tool time structure, but I like the beefy look. I am guessing this is for the 180 gal you have in the garage. If you use 1.5 inch .125 square tube you should be able to span the 6 feet.maybe double up the top. send me the dimensions, and I'll send them to my dad (welder). I think he can check the structural strenth. If you want to see mine you are welcome to come over. I am out of town until the weekend. 48' feet of .100 cost me 60 bucks and about 5 hours work to cut and weld.

Cheers,

Al

jgoldsney
12-03-2003, 07:10 PM
Whoops I forgot the size.....it is a 230 Galon

24"W x 30"H x 72"L

Joel

UnderWorldAquatics
12-04-2003, 01:15 AM
use at least 2" square thick wall steel, a structural engineer drew up some stands for me.