PDA

View Full Version : Dosed Aragamilk still cloudy

Wayne
10-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Hey I dosed aragamilk around 9pm last night and its still cloudy. Any ideas, I already did a partial water change... TIA

chris88
10-10-2010, 09:09 PM
My idea for you is to not use it. It is basically ground up sand or rock. It cannot dissolve in a high ph such as a reef tank. If it were possible that it could dissolve in tank water then so would our rock, sand, or coral skeleton. The only way to dissolve it is in an acidic ph, something lower then 7.0. I fell victim the trap of aragamight, and kent’s version as well. Trust me it doesn’t work and your water will un-cloud when it settles on the sand and rocks or it is filter or skimmed out. If you don't believe me take a glass of your reef water and put some aragamight in the glass and watch it all settle to the bottom and never dissolve.

Wayne
10-10-2010, 09:13 PM
Yeah I noticed the layer on the bottom of my sump. Well I guess you just saved me a couple bucks because the bottles almost done and I don't need to repurchase :lol:

fencer
10-10-2010, 09:18 PM
How much did you put in? Won't hurt anything

Wayne
10-10-2010, 10:14 PM
How much did you put in? Won't hurt anything

Normal amount of a few teaspoons. The only difference is that I dosed in the sump and its near the bottom of the bottle (more sediment maybe)

chris88
10-10-2010, 10:33 PM
I have two bottles still laying around from when i bought them. I have heard you can mix vingegar with it and it will dissolve the minerals for use.

paddyob
10-10-2010, 10:40 PM
A capful should be enough at any time.

I used purple up for about 2 years and it was great... my tank was the purple-est ever! I only stopped using it because it went up in price ridiculously and it made more sense to start using Ca and KH separately. Powder lasts much much longer.

Wayne
10-11-2010, 12:15 AM
A capful should be enough at any time.

I used purple up for about 2 years and it was great... my tank was the purple-est ever! I only stopped using it because it went up in price ridiculously and it made more sense to start using Ca and KH separately. Powder lasts much much longer.

LMAO! I remember that your 20 gallon tank probley had more purple algea then my 52 gallon :) I use purple up once a month or so. I certainly would like to have more coraline algea growing on the back wall just like yours :)