PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton Marine Club

sbrown
12-03-2003, 05:26 AM
Has anyone formed a club for us Edmonton area mariners yet...If not I think it would be a great idea and I would be willing to spearhead it. Its about time, how many people on here would be interested in an Edmonton Marine Club.... We could rotate the meetings to different locations, hold auctions for frags/unwanted creatures and share ideas. Please post if your interested and I will take it from there.

Thanks Sean

Quinn
12-03-2003, 05:48 AM
This has been discussed at length by the Calgarians. In order to actually become a club there are certain hoops we would have to jump through, as it is regulated by the city I believe. There would be membership fees, an elected executive... it may not be worth the hassle. Given the level of participation we have so far I don't know how successful such an effort would be. However certainly membership would increase if we advertised in LFSs. At the same time there is the possibility of discounts, promotions - but then we can't sound off about what we think of them. :lol: I think a poll would be in order, personally. Some people may prefer the current informal association we have. I personally don't have much stake in an Edmonton club, as as of this summer, I will be a Calgarian rather than one or the other depending on the weekend.

sbrown
12-03-2003, 06:17 AM
Your right, there will be hassles. Im sure we will have to build an executive etc. But think of the rewards, they are huge being an organized group. Buying power being one, everyone puts in group orders with J&L, what about group orders with the collectors in Florida. How about discounts at local shops (buying power is power), club auctions, talks and information sessions at meetings. Anything worth having is worth working at, I am currently building a successful company and figure a club can't be that hard. Ill figure out the hoops, call an election, etc and if you dont want to run for the executive just show up once a month and reap the rewards. I just want to know how many are interested. If the numbers are there I will put the leg work into creating the best club in Canada. So Id say the guys you mentioned in Calgary weren't motivated and thats why you cant get a cup of coffee in Calgary.......Cause all the cups are in Edmonton....

Beverly
12-03-2003, 11:58 AM
I wouldn't be interested in anything formal. Hate going to regular meetings, but like the informal get togthers we initiate from time to time. I'm satisfied with the way we currently have it set up as we can still bulk order stuff if we set our minds to it.

JMHO :smile:

reef monkey
12-05-2003, 02:56 AM
I would certianly like to see something with a little more organization as I have been into saltwater for a couple years now and have just found out there are more people in Edmonton doing it to the extent that they are but found them difficult to find. I doubt I would find the time to do more than come to the meets once a month though as I have a very busy schedule already
I wonder how much work it would be to start a small club in edmonton and get some kind of association with aquarium club of EdmontonI doubt that it would be as much work as you think and the benefits could very well be worth while :exclaim: