PDA

View Full Version : How do you feed nori

BlueTang<3
10-10-2010, 02:06 PM
After reading in all these tank journals of nori feeders, got me thinking why? My fish eat it right from my hands does anyone else's? Is there a method to the madness?

don.ald
10-10-2010, 02:10 PM
i use the mag float to hold the sheets

Aquattro
10-10-2010, 02:10 PM
I use a clip with a half sheet for my one tang. He grazes all day, so hand feeding isn't all that practical :)

kien
10-10-2010, 02:13 PM
My fish eat Nori from my hands too but that method is not convenient for my schedule. My fish get fed 3 times a day. Nori for breakfast, staple foods for mid day and frozen befor dinner. For me the mornings are hectic so I strap some nori to a stick of PVC and just insert that into the tank and let them have at it. It takes them a little while to rip off bits to eat plus they all have to take their turn. I like the stick because then I don't get my hands wet :)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4150/5052975801_96d64dabae_b.jpg

BlueTang<3
10-10-2010, 02:13 PM
My pigs i mean fish can choke back a sheet in under a minute :redface:

kien
10-10-2010, 02:25 PM
My pigs i mean fish can choke back a sheet in under a minute :redface:

Ya I think it makes a difference the way it is presented. The way I do it on a stick the nori has to be grazed off the stick like algae is grazed off a rock so it is a little more work. Where as if I use a vegi clip or just my hands the nori does get consumed a lot quicker. I need to re-evaluate my nori feeding tactics maybe. Great thread idea thanks!! :-D

mytank90
10-10-2010, 02:49 PM
i have a question on how you hold your nori on a stick.my crazy little clown trigger loves to bit the elastic band till they break then he will eat the nori as it floats around tank making a big mess:cry:

kien
10-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Just a rubber band. No one in my mixed reef eats rubber bands :). My aggressive reef on the other hand, different story! Like yours my clown trigger will eat rubber bands but won't eat the nori LOL. I don't typically feed nori to my aggressive tank. I don't know why but no one in there really likes nori.

BlueTang<3
10-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Just a rubber band. No one in my mixed reef eats rubber bands :). My aggressive reef on the other hand, different story! Like yours my clown trigger will eat rubber bands but won't eat the nori LOL. I don't typically feed nori to my aggressive tank. I don't know why but no one in there really likes nori.

Have you tried different colours? When my tangs were little they only ate the red would not touch the green and purple.

mytank90
10-10-2010, 03:12 PM
lol i have tried all colours and sizes of rubber bands .i put a wider rubber band the other day to hold nori and my clown used most of the day before he broke it apart .there was no nori left just rubber band bye the time he broke it apart .just woried my clown will eat the rubber band as he will swim around tank with pieces of it in his mouth

marie
10-10-2010, 03:38 PM
I wrap 2 sheets of Nori on this specially made nori holder and strap it down with 4 small rubber bands....my little piggies graze on it all day
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/mariesnell/jan1410026.jpg

whatcaneyedo
10-10-2010, 04:14 PM
I use one of these clips and just hang it in the tank with some fishing line tied off at the top. When my fish are done I pull it up and rest it on the side. The only problem I've ever had is my snowflake eel actually broke the fishing line once when it tried to eat the algae... http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/fd-oclip/Ocean+Nutrition+Seaweed+Clip+-+Each.html

Lance
10-10-2010, 04:37 PM
[QUOTE=marie;555177]I wrap 2 sheets of Nori on this specially made nori holder and strap it down with 4 small rubber bands....my little piggies graze on it all day

I do exactly the same. 2 sheets for the 225g and 1/2 sheet for the 90g.

ALang
10-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Marie,
Where did you get that algae holder??

reefwars
10-10-2010, 04:40 PM
i do similar i wrap nori around a cup and use elastics to keep it down i put it in different places and they are forced to graze because they cant tear it up:)

Lance
10-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Marie,
Where did you get that algae holder??

She got it from Poontang. He makes them. I believe Oceanic Corals sells his holders.............................I know you can speak for yourself Marie, but I'm a blabbermouth and can't help myself. :redface:

marie
10-10-2010, 05:46 PM
She got it from Poontang. He makes them. I believe Oceanic Corals sells his holders.............................I know you can speak for yourself Marie, but I'm a blabbermouth and can't help myself. :redface:

and that is a keeper :lol:

PoonTang
10-10-2010, 06:20 PM

I don't know if Oceanic sell them or not anymore. If they do then their pirated ones because they haven't got any from me in almost a year.
The feeders are still available from me directly from me. Here is the original build thread. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59130

Lance
10-10-2010, 06:35 PM
I don't know if Oceanic sell them or not anymore. If they do then their pirated ones because they haven't got any from me in almost a year.
The feeders are still available from me directly from me. Here is the original build thread. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59130

Oh, sorry Darren, my bad! :redface: I thought they were still selling them.

PoonTang
10-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Oh, sorry Darren, my bad! :redface: I thought they were still selling them.

Well they were at 1 point but I dont know what they are selling now. I have seen some pictures lately of tanks with the feeders in them but I know that they werent mine.

daniella3d
10-11-2010, 02:34 AM
I wrap it around a piece of liverock and tie it with rubber band. That way it does not shred apart so easily all over the water and last much longer. It is also a much more natural way for the fish to graze on the rock.

After reading in all these tank journals of nori feeders, got me thinking why? My fish eat it right from my hands does anyone else's? Is there a method to the madness?