PDA

View Full Version : 41/2 hour power outage

Lance
10-10-2010, 10:01 AM
So, it's 2:50 am and I'm sitting at the computer. Just chillin' a bit after a lengthy power outage. No harm done though. The generator ran like a top. :biggrin: Started on the first pull and ran for the entire time. I hooked up the Eheim 1262 return pump, and two PH's for the 90g and two MP40's for the 225g. The Barracuda return pump draws too much juice so I left it off, but I put three air stones in the sump so i think it's ok. Lucky it happened on a mild night and not in the middle of January. Tanks only dropped one degree. All in all I'm pretty happy with the way things went. It could have been a lot worse.

christyf5
10-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Great to hear Lance. I've had my generator for almost 3 years now and have never run it. Every year I think about getting it out of the box and starting it up but never get around to it. This is a good reminder :biggrin:

Mrfish55
10-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Good to hear things worked out, I had everything ready to go so of course my power didn't go out.

marie
10-10-2010, 03:40 PM
I noticed the power was off below Joyce and I was thinking of you.....I'm happy to see you managed to deal with it :biggrin:

Tom R
10-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Great to here that your DISASTER PLAN worked.

A little planning can save a lot of frustration later.

Tom R

Lance
10-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks everyone. The generator is a cheapie 1300 Watt I got from Canadian Tire a couple of years ago. You have to take the air filter off and inject a little gas into the carb to get it to start. :mrgreen:

lastlight
10-10-2010, 04:37 PM
One of the great things about the vortechs. Mad ass flow and very little power. Likely WAY more effective per watt than the air I'm thinking.

Lance
10-10-2010, 04:52 PM
One of the great things about the vortechs. Mad ass flow and very little power. Likely WAY more effective per watt than the air I'm thinking.

I agree. They're worth their weight in gold.

fishytime
10-10-2010, 04:56 PM
great to hear you had a backup and everything went well Lance......I wouldnt wish a tank crash on anyone(sucks bigtime)

PoonTang
10-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Great to hear Lance. I've had my generator for almost 3 years now and have never run it. Every year I think about getting it out of the box and starting it up but never get around to it. This is a good reminder :biggrin:

Um ya now might be a good time to do that instead of when you really need it lol only to find out its not working. lol

Lance
10-10-2010, 06:32 PM
After checking on all three tank inhabitants I see that a couple of frags in the frag tank are looking pretty sad. This tank is in the basement and I had no access to it with the generator. Just two battery-run air stones. Aiptasia and Majanos came through in good shape though.

NanoHuman
10-10-2010, 07:48 PM
If you are worried about losing heat in the winter if this happens again you could always replace the Eheim with a Quiet One. They can go toe to toe with any heater! :razz:

Lance
10-10-2010, 08:08 PM
If you are worried about losing heat in the winter if this happens again you could always replace the Eheim with a Quiet One. They can go toe to toe with any heater! :razz:

Yeah I own one: Quiet One 4000HH. It was so terrible I reduced it to using it for pumping freshwater to the salt reservoir. Noisy and runs hot. Not one of my favourite pumps.

Tom R
10-11-2010, 01:42 AM
Thanks everyone. The generator is a cheapie 1300 Watt I got from Canadian Tire a couple of years ago. You have to take the air filter off and inject a little gas into the carb to get it to start. :mrgreen:

Any generator will work.

I have a cheap $125.00 made in China 2 stroke that I bought at Canadian Tire. Its a bit noisy but it works. My main system pump is an 3600 GPH Amp Master that runs on 143 W.

Tom R

Lance
10-11-2010, 02:18 AM
Any generator will work.

I have a cheap $125.00 made in China 2 stroke that I bought at Canadian Tire. Its a bit noisy but it works. My main system pump is an 3600 GPH Amp Master that runs on 143 W.

Tom R

Wow, that's pretty low wattage for a pump that size. The Barracuda draws about 500 watts at 6' head pressure.
I added up the wattage requirements for the two tanks: return pumps, and powerheads add up to less than 1000 watts so I could run the Barracuda on the generator as well. The generator is rated for 1300 watts but recommends to be run no higher than 1000 watts continuously. Good to know for next time. :biggrin:

PoonTang
10-11-2010, 02:26 AM
Lance, according to the charts I am looking at the Barricuda max's out at about 250W at 16' head. At 6' head its drawing only 80W.

Lance
10-11-2010, 02:48 AM
Lance, according to the charts I am looking at the Barricuda max's out at about 250W at 16' head. At 6' head its drawing only 80W.

Oh. What chart did you find? The one I was looking at said 500W.

Lance
10-11-2010, 02:51 AM
I found a better chart. One that I can understand. At 6' head, 242 watts.

Tom R
10-11-2010, 03:21 AM
My Amp Master uses approx 195 Watts to start and then the usage falls back to approx 143 Watts. All my tanks are plumbed together so the one pump completes my main circulation.

PoonTang
10-11-2010, 03:39 AM
Oh. What chart did you find? The one I was looking at said 500W.

Look at the pump on JL website then click on the little link thinggy.

PoonTang
10-11-2010, 03:44 AM
Ya and actually the one on the reeflow website shows 242W at 6'

Mrfish55
10-11-2010, 03:52 AM
If you want to know the actual draw on your system I have one of those fancy plug in the wall deals that tell you what you are pulling (can also calculate cost :cry:) you can borrow if you want to see what your actual usage is.

PoonTang
10-11-2010, 03:54 AM
If you want to know the actual draw on your system I have one of those fancy plug in the wall deals that tell you what you are pulling (can also calculate cost :cry:) you can borrow if you want to see what your actual usage is.
NNNnnnoooo dont EVER calculate the real cost.....

banditpowdercoat
10-11-2010, 03:55 AM
My last power outage was 6+ hrs. No backups. I was just heading out to deliver our 46g to its new home. Had to cross fingers. Everything was great when I got home :D

Lance
10-11-2010, 03:19 PM

Thanks Dave but I don't need it. I'm substantially below the output of the generator. And as for calculating the cost, some things are better left alone. :biggrin:

Lance
10-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Ok, Mother Nature. Bring it on! I'm ready for you.
Just went shopping this morning and bought 3x multi plug-in extension cords, a small dolly to move the generator from the garage to the sundeck, a head lamp so I don't have to hold the flashlight in my mouth while setting up the generator on the deck, 2x lanterns to light the sump room and the tank room. All I need now is to find some sort of alarm that will go off when the power goes out to wake me in the wee hours. Anybody know where to find such a thingy?

Lance
10-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Just went shopping this morning and bought 3x multi plug-in extension cords, a small dolly to move the generator from the garage to the sundeck, a head lamp so I don't have to hold the flashlight in my mouth while setting up the generator on the deck, 2x lanterns to light the sump room and the tank room. All I need now is to find some sort of alarm that will go off when the power goes out to wake me in the wee hours. Anybody know where to find such a thingy?

P.S. This could also go in: "The things we do for our fishy friends" thread.

Mrfish55
10-11-2010, 06:30 PM
See, now that you are ready you will not lose power untill the gas in the gen goes bad and it will not start when needed.

Lance
10-11-2010, 06:34 PM
See, now that you are ready you will not lose power untill the gas in the gen goes bad and it will not start when needed.

Ain't that the way though? That guy Murphy should be strung-up-and-quartered!

christyf5
10-11-2010, 06:52 PM

http://cgi.ebay.ca/POWER-OUT-POWER-FAILURE-WARNING-ALARM-THP-207-/180538514638?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a08ef1cce

Lance
10-11-2010, 07:13 PM
http://cgi.ebay.ca/POWER-OUT-POWER-FAILURE-WARNING-ALARM-THP-207-/180538514638?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a08ef1cce

Thanks Christy. I found the exact same one on an American site and they wanted $23 to ship it! Only $5.99 shipping @ E-Bay. You saved me $17 :biggrin: