PDA

View Full Version : Monti Cap (Plate) question

paddyob
10-10-2010, 06:17 AM
So I have a Monti cap attached to a good sized rock that is also covered in palys. When I say the rock is covered... I mean COVERED.

First off.... will they bother the Monti long term?

Second... He has grown onto the rock.... can I just snap it off to remove it?

I am doing some new aqua-scaping and have a plan for it, but the palys dont fit into the picture :P

Patrick

reefwars
10-10-2010, 01:44 PM
the palys can be cut with a blade, and ive broken off monty oieces for frags lots of times i think it should be fine, break out the chisel:)

paddyob
10-10-2010, 03:42 PM
the palys can be cut with a blade, and ive broken off monty oieces for frags lots of times i think it should be fine, break out the chisel:)

Palys can be cut yes... but there is no chance in hell I am going to try cut 200 Palys off of a 3 pound rock. Haha. No chance.

On a side note... that green monti I got from you is looking sweet!

whatcaneyedo
10-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Palys and zoas will grow right onto the montipora without noticeably bothering it. Thats been happening in my tank for a few years.

The Monti should just snap right off the rock. If its old growth that fused there in the first place it should be a relatively clean break. But if your colony is small and still growing in that area it might hold on a little tighter and come off in a few more pieces.

paddyob
10-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Palys and zoas will grow right onto the montipora without noticeably bothering it. Thats been happening in my tank for a few years.

The Monti should just snap right off the rock. If its old growth that fused there in the first place it should be a relatively clean break. But if your colony is small and still growing in that area it might hold on a little tighter and come off in a few more pieces.

Its a good sized plate... fused to rock. grab and snap?

reefwars
10-10-2010, 04:25 PM
thanks pat, i love it i got it from whatcaneyedo so i cant take any credit for it but i love it also its def the nicest green ive got in my tank lol. thanks again russell:) id like to do another order from you again soon some of the stuff i bought from you i sold along with my big tank but i kept all the sps and hard corals and they are doing awesome, except for the green acro's they didnt make it for me but i will be trying them again:):) new tank comes on the 24th of october:)

and pat i still have a gorgonian frag for you when ever you get some free time ,no rush as i have a few of them and ill hold one for you untill you can get a chance to get it:)thanks

whatcaneyedo
10-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Its a good sized plate... fused to rock. grab and snap?

If you can wedge something thin and strong underneath (like a kitchen knife) and they pry upwards you might have better luck. I just pried my big green colony off of its rock last night so that I could break all of the old growth off of the bottom to make it smaller... that generated A LOT of frags. Even if you do accidentally smash it into many small pieces you can just fasten them together with fishing line, rubber bands or glue and within a month they will be fused back together again.

paddyob
10-10-2010, 06:40 PM
I guess I have a small piece of your green plate from Reefwars. Very nice. Small now but I bet it will be amazing as it grows!

Thanks for the advice.

And Denny... things are hectic around here. I'll be there one day.. hopefully soon.

Ken
10-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Snap. crack. pop. just thinking about it this morning while I have my rice krispy. Regards Ken

daniella3d
10-11-2010, 02:31 AM
Why would the paly bother the montipora? They will grow on the rock at the base and the montipora will just grow its way up, away from the paly.

They break very very easily so be carefull that if you try to take it off the rock it might juste break into pieces.

So I have a Monti cap attached to a good sized rock that is also covered in palys. When I say the rock is covered... I mean COVERED.

First off.... will they bother the Monti long term?

Second... He has grown onto the rock.... can I just snap it off to remove it?

I am doing some new aqua-scaping and have a plan for it, but the palys dont fit into the picture :P

Patrick