PDA

View Full Version : goronian coral?

mytank90
10-10-2010, 12:27 AM
are goronian coral easy to care for?i have a freind who thinking about selling his but from what i have read they are very hard to keep .i do not want to get it if very hard to keep alive and would rather let someone who knows more about them get it.thanks

edikpok
10-10-2010, 12:34 AM
some are easy to care for while others are not. Some gorgonian corals are photosynthetic and these ones are relatively easy to keep. Some of them require spot feeding and these types are quite a hastle to keep and they eventually die (similar to this: http://fishworld.com/img/032902/DSCN2388m.jpg can also come in beautiful purple color).

Lance
10-10-2010, 12:49 AM
Unfortunately most of the nicer gorgs available are of the non-photosynthetic variety. There are some real beauties of the photosynthetic type from the Caribbean but they are not for trade. :sad: If you're patient though you can find some of PS type that are nice. Tony is the guy to ask as he is a real fan of gorgs.

reefwars
10-10-2010, 01:46 AM
i have a nice frag of purple frilly gorgonian ive just listed the other day , from my experience so far its been quite hard to keep, at one time i had thought it was going to die, ive found out that a high place in my tank with lots of flow to keep off algae was a must and i need to do water changes reguarly and watch it for polyp extension.over all very beautiful but not for beginners ,ive only experience with this one type though and ive had it for quite some time now.:)

daniella3d
10-11-2010, 02:42 AM
I too have a purple gorgonian and have had it for 5 months now. It's not growing much and with all the feeding I am only keeping it alive. I have to give it filter food each day and it does retract its polyps when the MH is on. I was thinking of selling it because even though it's very beautiful, it is a pain in the rear end to keep it alive and healthy.

They are best kept in specialized non-photosynthetic tank with a constant feeding system and extremely good skimmer to grab what ever the coral don't use.

the reefshoppe has a very good selection of photosynthetic gorgonian and those are much easier to keep since they don't require so much feeding. Check it out, they have a very good selection.

http://www.thereefshoppe.ca/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_95

i have a nice frag of purple frilly gorgonian ive just listed the other day , from my experience so far its been quite hard to keep, at one time i had thought it was going to die, ive found out that a high place in my tank with lots of flow to keep off algae was a must and i need to do water changes reguarly and watch it for polyp extension.over all very beautiful but not for beginners ,ive only experience with this one type though and ive had it for quite some time now.:)