PDA

View Full Version : chemi-clean users

christyf5
10-09-2010, 11:59 PM
How long does it take for your skimmer to stop overflowing? I'm on day 3 post treatment and the damned thing is still foaming like its got rabies. I did the 20% waterchange and am running carbon. Do I need another waterchange or does it take a week to calm down or something?

Lance
10-10-2010, 12:04 AM
How long does it take for your skimmer to stop overflowing? I'm on day 3 post treatment and the damned thing is still foaming like its got rabies. I did the 20% waterchange and am running carbon. Do I need another waterchange or does it take a week to calm down or something?

Probably depends on the skimmer Christy. When I used Chemi-Clean on the 90g the old Tunze skimmer only foamed for a couple of hours. On the 225g however, the Beckkets foamed like crazy for days. You're running a Euro-Reef if I remember correctly. Maybe try skimming really dry, it may help some.

christyf5
10-10-2010, 12:35 AM
Probably depends on the skimmer Christy. When I used Chemi-Clean on the 90g the old Tunze skimmer only foamed for a couple of hours. On the 225g however, the Beckkets foamed like crazy for days. You're running a Euro-Reef if I remember correctly. Maybe try skimming really dry, it may help some.

Yep I run a euro reef and sadly the valve is wide open (as dry as it gets) and I just removed about 5 gallons of water in less than 10 minutes (more like 5 minutes) so I turned it off again. I'm thinking I might need to do some modifications on the gate valve location to reduce the water level in it. It runs with the valve wide open all the time.

Lance
10-10-2010, 12:44 AM
I'm guessing your running the Chemi-Clean to get rid of the cyano? You've obviously done the 48 hour procedure so I guess the only thing you can do is water changes until the skimmer is happy.

christyf5
10-10-2010, 12:48 AM
yes I did use it to get rid of the cyano, it did a wonderful job and the tank looks so much better. I did the 20% waterchange on wednesday after the 48 hours of treatment and am running carbon again as well.

Any ideas if chemi-clean affects urchins? Specifically tuxedo urchins? Mine isn't looking so hot, he has a few spines next to him and I have a feeling he's on his way out :neutral:

Lance
10-10-2010, 12:51 AM
Sorry, I have no clue. Hopefully he pulls through.

MitchM
10-10-2010, 02:47 AM
I've used Chemi clean a few times.
I found I could reduce the skimmer overflow by running an airstone.

Mitch

PoonTang
10-10-2010, 04:30 AM
I usually got mine back to normal within a couple of hours. Skim as dry as possible and just keep dumping the cup as much as it takes and replace lost water with new salt water. You can get your skimmer to run dryer by removing the piping after the gate valve especially if the outlet is under water or removing the valve all together.

PoonTang
10-10-2010, 04:31 AM
Oh and I never had it bother the tuxedo when I had one, infact none of the livestock ever seemed to be bothered.