PDA

View Full Version : suggestions needed for t5 setup

smokinreefer
10-09-2010, 04:05 PM
hey guys,

i've always been a MH guy, but i'm looking to switch out my MH on my nano for some T5s.

i'm currently running a 250W DE MH, and a couple thing i'm hoping to resolve by switching to T5s are:

-the single point light source of the MH is fairly distracting and harsh on the eyes with the tank being in the living room. so hoping the T5 fixture will have a "softer" more diffused appearance.

-i've heard T5 run quite cool, so hoping that will alleviate heat issues and allow me to decommision the chiller.

also any recommendations for fixtures? i'm lighting a Current USA Cardiff tank. the tank with the rounded front. its footprint is about 20" x 20"
i'm wanting to get a 6-8 bulb unit for it, thinking i'll have to go with 24".
so far i've only come across one 8 bulb unit, but its the sunblaze and i gather that its a very low end fixture.

one more thing, i have several clams in the tank, and a few sps frags. so i want to be sure to provide them sufficient lighting.

thanks for any input!

chris88
10-09-2010, 07:08 PM
If you are really worried about PAR i wouldn't be, a 6 bulb t5 fixture with the right bulbs will produce more par and better coloration then your MH. I guarantee you will not need a chiller. Here is what i suggest.

ATI SUNPOWER OR POWERMODULE (HIGH END)
SUNLIGHT SUPPLY TEK ELITE (MOD END CHEAPER)

You are going to have to go with a six bulb fixture with the size of a tank. Here are the bulbs i suggets for PAR and growth.

ATI BLUE PLUS
ATI AQUA BLUE
ATI PURPLE PLUS
ATI BLUE PLUS
ATI AQUA BLUE
ATI BLUE PLUS

OR

KZ SUPERBLUE
KZ NEW GEN
KZ SUPERBLUE
KZ FIJI PURPLE
KZ CORAL LIGHT
KZ SUPERBLUE

kien
10-09-2010, 09:15 PM
I have a 6 bulb ATI powermodule over one of my tanks and it does provide a nice diffuse light. Bulb choice is a very personal choice. Every person who runs T5s will have their own t5 preferences. I think where people should start is figuring out what overal colour temperature they want their display tank to look. That is, onnthe yellower side? (10k), or bluer (20k), or in between (14/15k). Then find the bulbs that will achieve those colours.

For the record I am a halide fan though. Both fixtures will achieve the same results at the end of the day but to me nothing beats that halide shimmer. :D

smokinreefer
10-10-2010, 04:15 PM
is the ati powermodule the only 24" 6 bulb fixture?
cant seem to find any others...

smokinreefer
10-10-2010, 11:30 PM
so the actual usable footprint of my tank is about 20"W x 16"D...
because of the built in overflow, skimmer etc.

so i think a 6 x 24W may be excessive.

any opinions?

should i go with 4 x 24W Tek fixture? about $250 with lots of bulb configuration possibilities.

or

20" Sunpod 6 x 18W fixture? about $400 with only 2 OEM bulbs available.

thanks!

fishytime
10-10-2010, 11:47 PM
not many shops stock the 18" bulbs.....something to consider.....

ATI makes a 24" 10 bulb unit, if you wanna drop over a grand for a 24" light:wink: