PDA

View Full Version : Tank Automation

Lampshade
10-08-2010, 08:18 AM
Has anyone tried or even heard of this DrDAQ thing? I downloaded the doctor aquarium software and seems to work, basically runs scripts and uses the DrDAQ board for the analog's(temp/PH/other), and uses X10 home automation pieces for on/off's. If this works could be pretty cheap, the X10 switches are only a couple bucks on ebay. Could be pretty nice for customizing, but could also bug out and have my tank crash aswell. Might be worth looking into more, figured i'd ask if anyone's tried it, or even heard of it before? I don't think i'm should link the page because of our page's sponsors, but it's easy to find.

Binare
10-08-2010, 12:43 PM
I haven't done anything with x10 for a long time. I went to a conference about 10 years ago when it first cam out. It was the latest and greatest thing out and cheap as dirt. Cheap till the bugs started popping up. Back then it required some serious line conditioning to work even remotely reliable. Things may have changed, I'd do some research on reliability issues and see if anythings changed. X10 basically fell into a gimmicky toy category after awhile becuase of all the problems it had, I'm sure that's why it never really took off.

Lampshade
10-08-2010, 07:03 PM
That's understandable, i've found a lots of articles that say X10 doesn't work well in modern homes bacause of the amount of dirty power electronics put out. I'm going to have a computer beside my tank, just looking at a decent way to use it. X10 is probably a bad idea for reliability, which is the key.
I still like the DqDAQ card, trying to find out how accurate the readings are, but as for switching on/off i think i'll stick to my original plan and use a USB relay module, or something of the sort. only issue with that is programing... which would have to be home made, which would be fun to do, but that's a LOT of work.

Either than or just cough up the money for a new RKE or something, haha, after all is said and done, this would probably be just as expencive, and less reliable.

Binare
10-08-2010, 07:16 PM
I got an rkl, gives me more then I need. Even with a background in electronics and electrical controls, I could'nt build a system for cheaper if I figured in my time involved. Very happy with what I got for how much I paid. If you factor in the cost of components, and the fact you'll almost surely end up with less functionality if you tried to even compete price wise, seems like a waste of time and money to try and reinvent the wheel.

ScubaSteve
10-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Go on Ebay and find an old National Instruments DAQ (preferably a DAQmx USB or a bus card) then download Labview. There's a bit of a learning curve but once you've got it it's a super powerful tool. I am actually setting up a new NI DAQ/Labview system as I type this to control my experimental set-up.

I made a really simple array of transistors that drive +5V circuits to control relays. Each of these relays can handle mains voltages. Took me about a day of soldering to set-up. If you want to cheat you can always buy power switch tails but you're paying a premium for something you could build for $5 or less.

I think the Dr. DAQ system is sufficient but if you want a bulletproof, reliable system with HUGE flexibility and capability I'd highly recommend the NI/Labview route. Make sure you design all your relays to have the proper fail safe in case your computer get's shut-off by accident.

I do this junk all day long so if you have questions on any of it feel free to fire them my way...

Lampshade
10-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Thanks Steve, i'll look into that. I found the webControl board's awhile ago on eBay that pretty much has all the transistors in place, and a network interface, as well as a basic logic controller/timer. Only issue was the amount of SSR's needed to drive any components. This Labview route looks great, some prebuilt stuff on EBay for pretty cheap, even found a RS232 card that take's analog and has 10A relay outputs. Probably cheaper bread board though. I'll probably play with it a bit, looks like a fun project once my new tank's up and going.
I've got a PLC running the basic stuff on my tank right now, was looking at upgrading and hopefully adding in some monitoring over the web. Not terribly hard to do if i designed my own webpage, etc. But the issue was getting info to the computer, especially the analogs.
I used to work building automated machinery, but the computer/PLC interface is beond me.

Thanks agains both of you.