PDA

View Full Version : Peninsula tank flow

dpg
10-07-2010, 06:47 AM
Bar closed loop system, what is the best method to achieve flow for a 230G peninsula style open top tank?

Mainly will be dependent on the return - but where to direct the output?

Instead of having the returns run on top of eurobrace and point back to the overflow how about running along the bottom of the tank instead?

Or use eductors and have returns point away from overflow?

Promoting circular water flow back towards overflow or random and chaotic?

Rbacchiega
10-07-2010, 02:50 PM
what are the dimensions of the tank. Bringing the returns along the bottom could work, be sure to have some sort of way to break a syphon should the power go out...230 gallons on the floor would suuuuuuck. It all depends on where you'd drill the return I guess.

dpg
10-08-2010, 05:04 AM
Tank is to be 84x24x26.

mr_alberta
10-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Instead of a closed loop are you open to the idea of running powerheads or wave makers in your tank? A pair of wave boxes on one end would work pretty well in your situation. Penductors/eductors would also work well for you too but I think either way you still need some sort of output at the opposite end of the tank or else you might get a dead spot...

madkeenreefer
10-08-2010, 10:42 PM
MP40's x 4

kien
10-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Your options are plenty! As to what the "best" way to get flow is? I'm not sure there is a best way because it partially comes down to preferences. That is, do you want to use a few power heads, lots of power heads, no powerheads? What walls do you want to put the powerheads on? How do you plan to lay out your aquascape? Are you going to be relying on the return outlet for flow? Closed loop? So many options!

One thing I will recommend though is to make sure there is surface flow directed towards your overflow so that you don't get that oil slick on your water surface. It can be tricky with penn tanks.

Also, as already mentioned, if you run your return line very low in your tank make sure you have some way of breaking the siphon if the power to your return pump goes out, otherwise I guarantee that you will flood your sump and have a wonderful mess on your hands. Some people like to use check valves. I personally do not because I've had one fail on me, but plenty of people have success with them.

dpg
10-11-2010, 03:09 AM
Thanks all think I'll use my returns plus a vortech or tunze