PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Reactors

Lampshade
10-07-2010, 02:47 AM
I'm setting up a new tank next week and have a calcium reactor all ready to go. My question to people with reactors: Do you suppliment to raise PH? Would it be worth running a kalkwasser reactor for auto top off to help balance my PH? My tank's going to start pretty lightly loaded, VERY light loaded for calcium since most coral is LPS right now. Should i just set a slow drip and see how it goes? I've got everything to set up a DIY kalk stirrer, would it be worth building into my ATO system? Any feedback would be great, thanks

whatcaneyedo
10-07-2010, 03:15 AM
It depends on the atmospheric CO2 in my home. In the summer I have no problem keeping my pH in the 8.1-8.3 range with a window open. In the winter I go down to 7.8-8.1 and I use both a calcium reactor and a kalkwasser reactor. Start slow and measure your alkalinity weekly. Once you get the reactor dialed in you can be more lax.

A Guide to Using Calcium Reactors
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/index.php

Low pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

mark
10-07-2010, 03:29 AM
My pH stays okay just with the reactor.

Hint for them though, reactors used to maintain Ca levels, so supplement first to get your level where you want. Found pushing easy to spike the alk.

Dez
10-07-2010, 03:55 AM
Ifyou add a second chamber to your reactor it helps too. Just put the calcium reactor media in the second chamber and you're good to go. It helps a bit.

Lampshade
10-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Thanks all, i've got a second chamber for my reactor, i'll just see how it goes.

Didn't think about the initial setup, thanks for the tip, makes sense that you want the reactor to maintain the Calcium, so using it to build up in the beggining will not help dialing it in.

And i've heard that fresh air in the house makes a differance, didn't think it would effect the tank that much, might explain some movements i have right now.

BlueTang<3
10-07-2010, 12:52 PM
I punched a hole in the side of the house so i could bring air in for my skimmer.:redface: Great in the winter took it off in the summer as i was getting funny ph swings with storms and when people sprayed there weeds.

StirCrazy
10-07-2010, 04:24 PM
if you have a very light Ca load right now you might be able to get away with just a Kalk reactor. then use the Ca reactor later when your demand warents it.

I would not run one with out the other but that is just my opinion and others have run Ca reactors alone, but some people run a Ca reactor then just add kalk to there top off water, so same result.

Steve