PDA

View Full Version : Brain question

Chad
12-02-2003, 04:30 PM
Ok I am planning on getting this

http://www.members.shaw.ca/cmcd/CH_LPS_021_large.jpg

But could not find a good reference on its care requirements.. I am hoping one of you more experienced reefers can give me a hand. What sort of lighting is needed etc etc.. :confused:

Thanks

Chad

Delphinus
12-02-2003, 04:45 PM
Wow, NICE.

In general LPS care is similar to that of SPS. Except that they can tolerate somewhat gentler flow (or may require gentler flow) and they usually require slightly less light as well (some actually do worse under intense lighting, but it's case-by-case, it's hard to make any generalizations). They benefit from Ca/Alk just the same that SPS do though, and they usually need to be fed (well I don't know about "need" to be fed but I do occasionally feed my LPS some mysis. They let me know when they're hungry when their feeder tentacles come out.... maybe once a week or thereabouts).

Some prefer to be in the sand, some might do OK on the rocks... I don't know about this brain that you have pictured but most if not all brains that I've seen in tanks do better when placed on the sand, maybe in a lagoonal biotope part of the tank.

Chad
12-02-2003, 04:55 PM
Do you think this coral could thrive in a 20gal nano with 110watt PC? Or even 55 watt?

Chad

Jason McK
12-02-2003, 04:58 PM
Chad that is very similar to the one I purchased from Canadian Reef during the last group order.
Please note the colours are as vibrant under normal lighting. I believe those pics were taken under atinics only. mine is doing very well. Low in the tank under 2x 250W 6500K MH and 2x 100 VHO atinics. medium flow. It was very cool yesterday when I feed Cyclop-eeze it sent out short sweepers as soon as the food hit the water.
Let me get a pic of mine one moment please

J

Bob I
12-02-2003, 05:04 PM
It looks like Lobophillia. If so the lighting requirements are from low to high, placement is on the rocks varying from down low to up high, water flow is from low to high. it is very aggressive. So as you can see you have a wide range of tolerance. :biggrin:

If the grid in the picture is one inch it is not too big, and you won't have to worry about growth. So if it fits in your aquascaping it would be OK.

Jason McK
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/537Blue-Green_brain_Small_.JPG?4077

My Brain :lol:

Chad
Chad that is very similar to the one I purchased from Canadian Reef during the last group order.
Please note the colours are as vibrant under normal lighting. I believe those pics were taken under atinics only. mine is doing very well. Low in the tank under 2x 250W 6500K MH and 2x 100 VHO atinics. medium flow. It was very cool yesterday when I feed Cyclop-eeze it sent out short sweepers as soon as the food hit the water.
Let me get a pic of mine one moment please

J

I was planning on asking you how yours went... but I don't have that kind of lighting setup..

Chad

Jason McK
12-02-2003, 05:17 PM
I just moved it last night. to a better location. I rearranged the whole tank because things were growing into each other. I never knew that star polyps would win a battle against a bubble coral. Anyway. I guess there not really the same I just didn't want you to be disappointed when the green wasn't as vibrant and the black was grey

J

Chad
12-02-2003, 05:27 PM
I just moved it last night. to a better location. I rearranged the whole tank because things were growing into each other. I never knew that star polyps would win a battle against a bubble coral. Anyway. I guess there not really the same I just didn't want you to be disappointed when the green wasn't as vibrant and the black was grey

J

It is amazing how the lighting will change the colour of a coral..

Chad

Chad
12-02-2003, 05:28 PM
If the grid in the picture is one inch it is not too big, and you won't have to worry about growth. So if it fits in your aquascaping it would be OK.

This is what I was thinking... On the website it says the grid is 1/2" so by that it is only 2.5" x 2.5" quite small.. easily placed in my aquarium...

Chad

sumpfinfishe
12-02-2003, 06:02 PM
Chad,
I have two open brains that sit directly on the sandbed under 90W of NO lighting. From what I have read, brains wether open or closed prefer med flow and medium light.

As Tony mentioned, they do like to be fed on occasion. I feed mine a small chunk of frozen brine once every two weeks. Both my clowns use these corals as surrogate host, so they are also fed by other means too. :mrgreen:

On another note, from my diving and snorkeling experience over the years in Playa del Carmen-Mexico, I have always seen the brain corals at around 10-25 feet in calmer areas of the reefs.

Here's a recent image of my green open brain :exclaim:
http://www3.telus.net/sumpfinfishe/images/11-3brain.jpg

MitchM
12-02-2003, 06:45 PM
I would like to add that some LPS can excrete A LOT of slime. While you may be able to supply the proper light and current in a nano, be sure that you have enough filtration to deal with it.
(may I suggest a 180g sump for your 20g nano? :mrgreen: )

Mitch

Chad
12-02-2003, 07:20 PM
I would like to add that some LPS can excrete A LOT of slime. While you may be able to supply the proper light and current in a nano, be sure that you have enough filtration to deal with it.
(may I suggest a 180g sump for your 20g nano? :mrgreen: )

Mitch

lol, I don't think that is likely.. what do other people say about this?? I realize they create slime but would it really be a problem in my 20g nano? I currently run some Chemi-pure and carbon in my H.O.T. Magnum.. Along with my crappy Seaclone skimmer :biggrin:

Chad

MitchM
12-02-2003, 07:31 PM
(While you're waiting for others...)

The carbon and Chemi-pure won't touch the slime.
Also, those corals are quite proficient at releasing excess zooxanthellae and waste that you need good current to take away as well.
Get a better skimmer if you don't think you have a good enough one.

Mitch

Chad
12-02-2003, 08:01 PM
(While you're waiting for others...)

The carbon and Chemi-pure won't touch the slime.
Also, those corals are quite proficient at releasing excess zooxanthellae and waste that you need good current to take away as well.
Get a better skimmer if you don't think you have a good enough one.

Mitch

So what touches "slime" then.. I plan on getting a better skimmer.. I just cannot afford a really good one at the moment. I think I got lots of good flow in there.. I have a Maxi Jet 400.. the magnum has a good GPH... plus the flow from my skimmer.. I have another PH I can put in there.. but its getting pretty croweded with PH's now :biggrin:

Chad

MitchM
12-02-2003, 08:58 PM
Chemi-pure and activated carbon are better designed for the toxins released in the chemical warfare of soft corals, for example.
The "slime" produced is more like organic matter that will be consumed by bacteria, and would be best removed by a water change or skimming.
I don't think that long term the coral would "thrive", but given it's small size, it will probably do just fine until you get a better skimmer.
Just keep in mind that it will probably increase your bio-load significantly, and so you should be ready to deal with it.

Mitch

Chad
12-02-2003, 09:04 PM
Chemi-pure and activated carbon are better designed for the toxins released in the chemical warfare of soft corals, for example.
The "slime" produced is more like organic matter that will be consumed by bacteria, and would be best removed by a water change or skimming.
I don't think that long term the coral would "thrive", but given it's small size, it will probably do just fine until you get a better skimmer.
Just keep in mind that it will probably increase your bio-load significantly, and so you should be ready to deal with it.

Mitch

Well I change my water once a week... I would think this should be enough

Chad