PDA

View Full Version : Go

gio
12-02-2003, 09:43 AM
seems how i am now asking all kinds of questions about this reef tank that has become a pain in my butt-

i have a brain-we had a little bit of a water problem-(someone put fresh water in without salt and did not know) the brain along with a few other creatures in there disintegrated and now look like skeletons. half of the brain in still alive and i am wondering if it will fully regenerate and cover the "dead" area??!!! i was told you can take a skill saw or some other ungodly power tool to cut it in half. this is supposed to be so it can grow and make new ones-having heard this i can only assume that the brain would regenerate. does having the dead part on cause it to not grow?? should i get out the power tools and start carving it up or what?? LOL. the part that is alive is very alive and well and expands to a significantly larger size as the day progresses. i am just wondering if the dead part will stunt the growth????

Pauline
________
BOX VAPORIZERS (http://boxvaporizers.com)

MitchM
12-02-2003, 12:11 PM
I wouldn't handle it too much if I were you. The tissue can regrow, but you need excellent water and lighting conditions.
There is a protozoan that loves decaying LPS tissue, and you will know that you have it if you see a brown or white "jelly" forming at the edges of the coral. The infection can be beaten with a diluted iodine dip.

Good luck.

Mitch

Son Of Skyline
12-02-2003, 02:37 PM
I wouldn't try to saw it in half. You'll probably end up damaging what's left of the living tissue in the process. I can just imagine the horror...seeing a live coral being passed through a table saw...ouch.