PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Confusion

Hangfire
10-05-2010, 10:51 PM
I've got a question I'm hoping someone on here can answer for me.

I picked up a Giesemann Metal Halide and T5 fixture. My question concerns the MH ballast. I'll try and be as clear as possible - I have two power lines coming from the hood itself - one is for the T5s and one is for the MH (it's a large white plug). There is a corresponding white plug on the ballast, but coming out of the white plug is another power line that you'd plug into an outlet. Where the heck does that plug in? On the other side of the ballast is the single plug I'm assuming you plug into the power supply, but I'm baffled as to where to plug in the extra power plug. It doesn't make sense that the current would come from the power source, into the ballast, up to the light, but also back to the power supply.

I hope this is somewhat clear.

lastlight
10-05-2010, 11:03 PM
I know the actual Gman ballasts all use transformers. Is there a transformer box you need to plug into as well? Shot in the dark sorry man.

whatcaneyedo
10-06-2010, 01:53 AM
I had a 36" Giesemann fixture with two MH and two T5. Three cords came out of the fixture and plugged into the ballast. Two cords came out of the ballast and plugged into the wall.

Coleus
10-06-2010, 02:34 AM
I had a 48" Giesemann fixture with two MH and two T5. Three cords came out of the fixture and two plugged into the ballast and one plugged into the wall for T5. Two cords came out of the ballast and plugged into the wall.

Maybe what is the model and look up the manual would help

Hangfire
10-06-2010, 04:06 PM
The light is a 24" Giesemann, so it only has one MH bulb with four T5 bulbs.

I've looked for instructions online but haven't found anything yet. I was wondering if the extra power line could be for electronic control, as the one instruction manual I found (which had no illustrations) mentioned that.

I'll give Wendal a call at OA and ask him, he sold it to me :biggrin:

Thanks for all your help guys, I appreciate it.