PDA

View Full Version : Drains

pirate
10-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Well I just got a 150g tank withstand, and its set up with a durso drain. A overflow box in one corner and the return in the other. I'm just stettiing up my sump ( gonna be a 50-45 g) inside of the stand. Currently it plumbed for 1 inch I think. (havent messured it). But because I'm setting up my sump I was thinking about going to a herbie drain. Just changing the return into a higher drain. I like the idea of a emergency drain in case of a plugged drain. But will a 1 inch pipe get plugged? I know with 2 drains in the overlow box it would be easier to set up a heribe drain but can it be one at seperate corners? It wold just be a lot of mesuring to make sure it was at the right height.
So is it worth setting this tank up as a herbie? or staying with a durso drain a better idea.
I don't want to drill another hole in the tank. If I do a herbie I'll send the return up the back side and over the edge into the tank.
What do you all think?
And thanks for the advice

mark
10-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Lot's with run a tank with a single drain if Durso etc but risk with a Herbie is your 1" line is quite restricted with the gate valve (so your not running a fully 1") and you're balanced just on the edge of a flood so it wouldn't take much of a obstruction to go over and have wet floors.

As for doing a Herbie on separate sides, that's my plan. What I'll do is have the height of the overflow chamber being the back up, higher than the primary overflow. Bit of wasted volume, a dry overflow, but think it's the way to go since bulkheads I'll be using are in overflows.

wingedfish
10-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Here's what I see in my minds eye. It can be done, the emergency overflow box is useless as it would be full at all times and the emergency drain would have to be higher than the intended tank water level.

my 2 cents