PDA

View Full Version : Id Help, (No picture yet)

Sean
10-05-2010, 08:11 PM
I'm having problems getting a picture of these things as they are fairly small and I don't have an excellent camera but can someone give me some suggestions so I can google stuff and see what it is I have?

On the back wall of my nano cube there are a bunch of little white dots. If I look closely I can see a tiny head with 2 antena's poking out. They look like they are attatched to the wall itself. I was thinking they could of been pods but im not too sure how those things reproduce. I have also looked at some articles about worms and they could be those aswell.

Any ideas from this horrible description? :) I will post a picture the second I can get a clear one.

lastlight
10-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Pods. A great sign. Fish will eat'em up quick when you introduce them. You'll always have pods but those guys on the glass don't survive in my display anymore.

I'm fairly sure we all have them on the rock, sand etc. They're just easiest to see on the glass.

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/pods.html

Top row, second from the left.

Myka
10-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Google `reef copepods` and `Spirorbid worms`, then go to Images and there are some great photos. Both are found in nearly all healthy marine tanks, and both are beneficial.

Sean
10-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Right on, I noticed them running around but I never knew how they reproduced. Thanks for the help! :)

lastlight
10-05-2010, 08:58 PM
The amphipods are a lot more fun to watch. The fish also keep their numbers down but somehow they can grow pretty big. Even of you don't see them often times a really big molt will go sailing around the tank so you know they're thriving.

Myka
10-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Right on, I noticed them running around but I never knew how they reproduced. Thanks for the help! :)

Well, if they are running around they will be Copepods (bigger ones are Amphipods), not Spirorbid worms! You will probably find the Spirorbids too if you look closely, they are also only 1-2mm across, but are stationary. Look in lower flow areas like in the overflow and sump. They will be stuck to the glass.